• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What are the best threads for newbies to SuperCub.Org?

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
I am the first to admit that my skills at collecting information far outweigh any skills I have in the organizational department. Recently, someone emailed me and asked "what are the best threads to read if I am new to Super Cubs", well, I didn't have a great answer.

What do you folks think are some of the best threads for folks new to supercub.org and new to the super cub?

I'd like to put together a "start here" page in the help section.

Thanks for any help!

sj

Downwind Turn?:cheers

Seriously, every subject has it's own collection. For preflight and mechanical search for Steve Pierce, MCS, CubMD and a few others and go.

For landings, the Thrustline discussion comes to mind, as it covered lots of ground.

For safety the Oops, darn it is a good read.

Steve. That was a great question to ask.

There are so many choices. Thrustline Mod came to mind first, as it has a very long discussion of what makes the -18 a great flyer, or not so great a flyer.

Hope everyone here has a hopeful heart for the outcome of the pandemic.

Gosh, where does one start?

I think of the great stories of trips and events, and the outrageous bullshiz and other hysterical hijinks that spontaneously erupt anytime you put a bunch of pilots in one place together.

There's also the gobs of fantastic advice based on actual experience about how to (and not to) fly these amazing airplanes and maintain them. Priceless.

And then there is the personal stuff--the fact that that the group gives and receives on levels that constantly reaffirm one's faith in humanity. It really is a big family.

There is something for everyone and lots of it. And, after all these years, the site has stayed remarkably true to its core culture and spirit of operation. And it is still people that make this site by simply being themselves. And, yes, there are pictures of Timmy in the snowbank, me in a swamp, Cliff over easy, the unprounounceable beach incident....and on and on and on.

May it all continue to the last tiedown. Every darn bit of it. So, just dive in an poke around.

I believe the true joy is in the fact that there is no quick way to appreciate one's Super Cub or any other airplane. An excellent forum such as this will add to your experience leaps and bounds beyond what owning and flying one all by yourself will do. Me, I've never even been in a PA18. I started flying a friend's J5A-75 over 10 years ago and found this site and received much help with various issues. I have not flown the Piper Cub for 7-8 years but still mine this site for what it has to offer. I own and fly a Spezio Tu-holer and it is cub like in some ways including a cub jack screw that needed help that was found here. I also built and own a Acroduster 2 and found the Biplane Forum which like this site adds to my joy. Be very, VERY happy that this place and it's people exist.

Jack

My fave is Murph and his runaway cub story,,,and I seen the damage from flying schrapnel.:lol:
I changed my mind about downwind turns,,,,they only bite if you do them!

I’ll second Murph’s runaway cub story. We need a master list of links to all these.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

and then there was the one about the control zones !!

Those were fun days !! Well.... for some of us.

How about that one where Wx reporting inside a control zone, but you weren’t going to that airport. Something to that effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one with Eaton and a tent? Or the one with Timmy and the snow pile?

Glenn

1961913a29302ac59a75f2a48b91522e.jpg

This one?

How about that one where Wx reporting inside a control zone, but you weren’t going to that airport. Something to that effect.

Those would give new pilots the mis-impression we used to like to argue a lot!!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Those would give new pilots the mis-impression we used to like to argue a lot!!

Most of you have aged quite gracefully...

Great input, folks, but as usual, not exactly what I expected :smile: I have to find that Murph story. That was a classic...
sj

Can't find Murph's thread on the run away Super Cub with a big pot of chilli in the back seat, spent a long time searching for it a while back.

I think using the "subject site:supercub.org" in a Google search is the best advice. Different people looking for different things but we all seem to come together because of some interest in a simple rag and tube airplane. It has been a real fun ride thus far.

Last edited:
The one thing about the arguments we used to have, is it made you think, right or wrong you had to do some digging into what actually is.

Ive noticed and several instructors i know have also noticed the majority of new student that show up expect you to pour the knowledge in them . They don't live and breath it while they are learning.
We sit around the airport all the time discussing what this means or how that works etc.

Brian's post reminds me of my second instructor---Having soloed a nice Super Cub, I moved on up ???? to a nice GCBC and a really good Stearman flying instructor. We would meet for breakfast and have "ground school". He informed me that I should not get so anxious to get to the airplane and fly. He said " You are going to learn about flying by talking about it" Talk we did, and I must have learned a few things as his "talking" is what saved my dumb ars one terrible stormy night as his words " no matter what, always remember to fly the airplane" went through my thick head. I recalled how the man used many, many napkins as we had our 7th cup of coffee at those long breakfast ground schools. Another of his sayings was " when it comes to aviation, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. Have to admit---some of my questions brought a smile to his face. The cost of those breakfasts were priceless---the lessons were life saving. Yes , I got dirty hands a few times helping maintain his workhorse stearmans he used in his spray business. One of those "fix it" sessions was an all night ---weld---and patch ---a crippled stearman at one of "BUSHES BEST" bean fields. Sorry for rambling---just an old fart looking back at some wonderful days----and nights. Geezer Dan

...Ive noticed and several instructors i know have also noticed the majority of new student that show up expect you to pour the knowledge in them .
This reminds me of a story my wife told me about one of her students and his mother. My wife used to instruct at a nearby airport which had a contract with the local State college's aviation courses to teach flying. The students went to this college with the expectation of automatically being hired by a major airline upon graduation. This particular student was not very good at learning aviation, so my wife had a meeting with his mother. The mothers comment was that she didn't understand because "I paid my money?".

Go to page one of the ( where the heck is Murph) post for my pick of one of the best stories ever on here...
dave

Murph story reminds me of a situations about 20 years ago. Road construction job in south central Wisconsin. Needed a home for large amount of dirt. Local private airport had a deep gully on one end of his strip. Our "extra" dirt provided fill for his runway to have a nice extension. As the fix it guy for the construction company, My daily duties included servicing the d-6 dozer at the private airport. A nice sunny morning I arrived for dozer duty to find a bad situation at one of the hangars. Seems a fellow was scheduled for his private exam that morning. While waiting for the examiner the Champ owner thought he would enjoy a quick solo around the patch. Not sure of the entire chain of events but seems he propped the Champ with a bit too much throttle. Champ made a U-turn and circled back into the hangar narrowly missing a nice Cherokee and proceeded to make many splinters of prop and hangar as the plane tried chewing through the hangar wall. Busted airplane, damaged hangar but thankfully no bloodshed. Amazing how cheap a piece of rope (insurance) could save much expense and exasperation. Sure felt bad for the guy knowing we are all capable of errors.

Back