• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

L21 Windows and Skylight

KJC

FRIEND
Clear Lake, MN
I see Atlee sells an STC to convert a standard D window fuselage to L21 glass and skylight. Is it really necessary to have an STC if it’s on the Type Certificate? Shouldn’t this be just a minor with a logbook entry?

That’s what I’m thinking as well. Not even really a minor because it’s on the Type Certificate. Maybe just “Welded new L21 windows per Piper Drawing xxx. All welding IAW 43.13 etc etc.... “

Just make sure you talk to your IA. If he doesn't like it after you do the change, it's darn inconvenient to find another IA.

Web

Talk to your IA first. If he/she doesn't like it, consider finding another IA. This one seems like a no-brainer.

I have been known to insist on field approvals to put PA-11 parts on a J3, but L4 windows do not bother me in the least. The window configuration varies all over the place. We just reference the Piper drawing.

Not a problem. I sign the first block and have a friend sign the second. I probably should get my IA after 28 years. Just don’t do enough work to justify keeping it current.

Not a problem. I sign the first block and have a friend sign the second. I probably should get my IA after 28 years. Just don’t do enough work to justify keeping it current.
As long as you have your friend you are good. If not, all you need is to take one of the on-line recurrent courses. Simple.

Back