Thread: Ski strips are for Skis!!

Post Thanks / Like

Ski strips are for Skis!!

So that time of year again, warm enough for everyone to try to get out flying. But lots of planes are on wheels and not ski. Every year at this time it seems pilots want to go land on the on the snow covered ski strip with tires. Before you do stop and think about what you are doing to the strip. The tires are going to make some pretty deep ruts in all the soft snow, even worse when you decide to do a 180 and back taxi. When the ruts freeze overnight it makes for a very rough and unsafe for the guys on skis the next morning. Now take the pilot in Soldotna today that decided to land his nose wheel Cessna on the ski strip instead of the open tar runway next to it and put it upside down. Now we get to have some trucks get out on the strip also. Sometimes you have no choice, BUT, if you do stay off the ski strip with wheels so you follow pilots on skis have a safe place to takeoff and land.
    THANKS
    DENNY
    Thanks Steve Pierce, flylowslow, Bowie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We have idiots think it is just fine to run 4 wheelers on the sled trails. They do fine early when it is 20 degrees, but then come back at noon after the snow is soft and rut the entire trail to heck.

The even get indignant if you try to explain the difficulty of riding in their ruts that go side to side.

But why would you land a wheel plane in the snow next to the asphalt?? We need more Darwin action.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Thanks Bowie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Heck if you guys want to play on snow, move to where there’s actually some winter. In Fairbanks, the airport grooms the entire east ramp for skis. Navajos and Caravans taxi on those surfaces all winter.

MTV
    Thanks tbone thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    BUMP!! That time of year again. Had a cub stuck on 35in tires on the ski strip with open runway next to it. Please don't tear up the ski strips with tires if a runway is open next to it. Thanks
    DENNY
    Likes cubflier, skukum12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    BUMP!! That time of year again. Had a cub stuck on 35in tires on the ski strip with open runway next to it. Please don't tear up the ski strips with tires if a runway is open next to it. Thanks
    DENNY
    Seriously?! Today?

On a related note, I don't suppose you know of anyone who might have a tow bar I can buy or borrow for a week, do you? I want to extend my season by a week or two, but can't taxi over to the ski strip due to exposed pavement. I have ski dollies, but I'm not sure that trying to taxi on those is a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use mine, I just have to find an extra hanger key for ya. I will be out tomorrow putting on skis. Sent my number by PM
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Seriously?! Today?

On a related note, I don't suppose you know of anyone who might have a tow bar I can buy or borrow for a week, do you? I want to extend my season by a week or two, but can't taxi over to the ski strip due to exposed pavement. I have ski dollies, but I'm not sure that trying to taxi on those is a good idea.
    What kind of dollies do you have? All I ever do is taxi with ski dollies. I have a one mile taxi to the runway. I put around 80 miles a year on mine no problem.

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    During warm conditions wheel penetration skis with the ski raised tend to tear things up as well. Have a look sometime at the results of their passing on snow.

Gary