• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How to Remove a Crankshaft Plug

stewartb

For discussion. What's the preferred way to extract a crankshaft plug? I'm talking about the expansion plug int he front. I've heard of a few methods that differ from Lycoming's instructions, and those instructions are incomplete. They say to pierce the plug with a 1/8 to 3/16 hole. They don't say what to do next. It's not like I'm stuck but I am interested in what guys do.

Thx

I drill and then tap a small hole, then slide hammer.... (where did my slide hammer go?..... it's been in hiding for a decade or so..... hmmmm)

If you just give it a few more whacks with the punch (like you are installing but keep going), it will dish the opposite way and come right out- no hole required...

I punched the hole and screwed a 2 inch wallboard screw into it. Maybe it was a shorter screw. Then I pried it out with a flat crowbar. Used a piece of baffle seal for protection of the crank snout. After cleaning does anybody smear a layer of grease in the crank to protect it?

If you just give it a few more whacks with the punch (like you are installing but keep going), it will dish the opposite way and come right out- no hole required...

I had read about this and liked that it wouldn't introduce drill cuttings into the crank. I just tried it. Pounded pretty hard with a blunt drift and a 4# sledge. Became concerned I'd punch a 1/4" round cut into the crank so I switched to a punch to insert a screw. As soon as I pierced the plug it released and came out with a toolbox magnet. No cuttings.

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks, but that's the permanent fix with the crank removed. I should have been more clear about greasing the crank after performing the inspection required by the AD and the engine is still on the airplane.

I’ve read to use a ball peen hammer’s ball to the plug and hit it with another hammer. In retrospect I think that would be the perfect shape to concave and release the plug.

I’ve read to use a ball peen hammer’s ball to the plug and hit it with another hammer. In retrospect I think that would be the perfect shape to concave and release the plug.
This is the way I've always done it. This is only an automotive type of freeze plug. To install tap in the center with a ball peen to expand the circumference. To remove, tap further to contract the circumference.

Back