• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

150hp STC for PA-12 or -18

StuBob

Indianapolis
I'm back to idly shopping, noticing very low prices on PA-12s with run-out O-290s. In the same way, PA-18s with less than 150hp have significantly lower prices on them.

What would be the likely cost of upgrading from an O-290 to an O-320, and who holds the STCs?

Thanks. I'm sure this comes up often, but I couldn't get any search terms to return useful results.

For a PA-12- Univair, Crosswinds STOL, and Kenmore. For 160hp- Crosswinds. For 180hp- Crosswinds and Univair. No idea about the -18 options.

I'm back to idly shopping, noticing very low prices on PA-12s with run-out O-290s. In the same way, PA-18s with less than 150hp have significantly lower prices on them.

What would be the likely cost of upgrading from an O-290 to an O-320, and who holds the STCs?

Thanks. I'm sure this comes up often, but I couldn't get any search terms to return useful results.

Very much FWIW based on fading memory for a -320 install on a -12.

- Circa 2007 era: cost of reman'd narrow-deck 160hp 320 $13,XXX
- STC (more below): $320 (cute)
- Labor, -18 tailfeathers with covering, and a few misc parts: $4000
- for the -290 to -320 switch, likely a different prop will be required...I had that already.

In addition to the STC holders listed by others (Univair, Kenmore, Charley Center / Crosswinds), there was an STC holder for "...any 0-320" that I used. No access to my logs right now, but I'll see what I can find in about a week when I've got access. Need to carefully look at the various STC's for a 320 switch on a -12 to see what else is required (may require specific mounts and using PA-18 tailfeathers is a pretty common requirement). Also FWIW, in my case, I was able to sell the 0-290 (and my old prop) to a guy building an airboat for about $3000.

Very much FWIW based on fading memory for a -320 install on a -12.

- Circa 2007 era: cost of reman'd narrow-deck 160hp 320 $13,XXX
- STC (more below): $320 (cute)
- Labor, -18 tailfeathers with covering, and a few misc parts: $4000
- for the -290 to -320 switch, likely a different prop will be required...I had that already.

In addition to the STC holders listed by others (Univair, Kenmore, Charley Center / Crosswinds), there was an STC holder for "...any 0-320" that I used. No access to my logs right now, but I'll see what I can find in about a week when I've got access. Need to carefully look at the various STC's for a 320 switch on a -12 to see what else is required (may require specific mounts and using PA-18 tailfeathers is a pretty common requirement). Also FWIW, in my case, I was able to sell the 0-290 (and my old prop) to a guy building an airboat for about $3000.

McKenzie STC I think it is.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Wasn't the McKenzie STC for a dynofocal mount 320?

The early Kenmore STC said 0-320, no suffix. They amended it many years ago.

Years ago I bought a PA 12 with a 180 engine. It had flaps but the -12 tail feathers. I think it might have bee a Penn-yan (spell) conversion. Either that or Penn-Yan did the engine OH.

Tons of posts on the subject. Google is your friend, search terms and "site:supercub.org". still way cheaper to buy a 150 hp Super Cub than to convert one in my opinion.

Back