• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

CFI question FIRC

Richgj3

BENEFACTOR
LI,NY
I need to renew my CFI. I’m not active enough to do it the FSDO way, so in the past I’ve used a local FBO that runs a weekend course once a month. I’m thinking of doing it on line because right now I think I don’t want to be around a lot of people. I’ve looked at Gleim and American Flyers. American is a one time charge and Gleim is per use. American says the requirements are 12 hours while Gleim says 16 hours, which I thought was the FAA requirement. Comments?

Rich

I use American flyers. will kill you with boredom.

Right now though, you might want to check in with your FSDO because after you do your course you need to get the signature from them. I had issues last year and mine lapsed because I could not get the FSDO to respond until the last day- so being out of town it was not possible to complete.

To avoid George's problem, you can renew your CFI up to 3 months before it expires. I always just do a checkride with a DPE to renew mine, so don't have anything to suggest on renewal courses!

sj

I’m due at the end of April so I have a little time. As I understand it, you can get the whole thing done on line for an extra fee. When I was more active I used to renew with a DPE who was my boss. That was easier and more fun.

Thanks.

Just did Gliem and had them process my certificate. Painless got my temporary emailed the day after completion. Well worth 125.00

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

About eight years ago I gave Ace CFI $75 for lifetime access. First time through was about 2 1/2 hrs, about as long as the old Jeppessen paper and pencil FIRC.

About 4 years ago, the FAA mandated 16 hours, so the computer programs are monitored to see if you are paying attention. You have to do something every three minutes or so. Changing the page captures your time.

Ace CFI is a good course. I strongly recommend them. You can actually learn something once in a while. I got to feeling guilty, and had them renew last time, even though I think it is a good idea to say "hi" at my FSDO now and then.

Highly recommended. Still takes around 3 1/2 hours if you don't count turning pages while you read something else. I have tried King (very good; thanks, Barry) and ASA (also good) and I use Gleim for IA renewal (excellent, and not timed). I am hoping they keep the timer out of the mechanic stuff - I pay $60 for the pleasure of not spending eight hours in a classroom.

I should go to the class; it helps me stay connected to whoever is my PMI this week.

I use the AOPA Air Safety Institute online FIRC. It’s well put together, it actually contains content you can use, and most of the cost goes to furthering aviation safety and scholarships.

And it’s all done online for one price. I’ve used this one the last four or five renewals and will do so again if I’m still keeping a CFI in a couple years.

MTV

I've used Gleim the last several times and let them handle the paperwork. I like that Gleim allows you some choice of electives. Since it was Hurricane Season when I took it, I opted for Tropical Weather.

Daryl

I use AceCFI . Not bad...they do everything...all signoffs and temp airmen’s cert. you’re stuck with doing one...some maybe better than others...all get the job done.

I've used Gleim my last 3 or 4 renewals and am currently doing it now. They are very responsive if you encounter issues (like IACRA registration) and the whole process is seamless. If you read their lesson summaries and do the practice quizzes---it's a good refresher and painless. If you skim through the material too fast, their system will not let you progress (because you got to get the 16 hours). Highly recommended!

I just completed the Gleim course. It was very good. This is the first time I’ve used an online course. I thought it was better from a knowledge transfer process than the weekend school I had attended for the last several renewals.

Thanks for the suggestions

Rich

I used American Flyers this year. I signed up for the “forever” about 12 years ago, then let me CFI expire. Did a check ride 2 years ago to get it back. Just renewed a couple weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back