• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel Pump Tech Question

stewartb

The Lycoming service manual for my engine says that if fittings are required at the fuel pump to install them before installing the pump on the engine. Is there a mechanical reason or is it just for access and convenience? I don’t see how the fittings do anything but the notice for this instruction is highlighted for emphasis. Anyone know why?

The fitting I have seen on the diaphragm fuel pump are there for a aluminum tube or hose that dumps overboard. The tube/hose is there to let you know the diaphragm has failed by the fuel coming out.
I believe there is an old SB or AD on the style of fuel pump to check the orifice has been drilled through.
This happened on a C-150 with a 150 HP Lyc that came into the shop. The diaphragm failed and filled the crankcase with gas because the fuel pump was the one of the affected ones. No place for fuel to go but into the engine.
Cheers,
Dave

My fuel pump has a fuel dump port cast into it. Simple install. My pump has a cooling shroud the requires the in-out fittings to be installed after the pump goes onto the engine. I don’t see a problem with it but I never read the maintenance manual until now. I wonder why the notice is there. No bother, my fuel pump is installed and lines are connected. New O rings. Hoping for no leaks.

Back