• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PolyTac/Super seam on Powder Coating

coxcub

PATRON
Devon, England
Folks,

I am well aware of the ongoing arguments with regard to Epoxy v Powder coating on the frame etc.

However I'm interested to hear from those who powder coat whether Poly Tac and Super Seam are OK applied directly or is a further coat of 'Something' else required first?

Perhaps there is a a powder that is resistant to them? - I know not.

All info greatly appreciated

Frank

Powder coating is pretty inert after application. I haven't found anything (chemically) that attacks it. Never had issues with any of the chemicals used in dope/fabric work. Anybody else?

Web

Powder coating is pretty inert after application. I haven't found anything (chemically) that attacks it. Never had issues with any of the chemicals used in dope/fabric work. Anybody else?

Web

Not always. The lion's share of my parts including airframe were coated by Advanced Powder Coating and those parts are totally resistant to solvents. A handful of other parts including airbox and baffles were done by Anchorage Custom Powder Coating and when I cleaned my airbox last week with lacquer thinner the rag showed color transfer and the coating became sticky. Not a big problem for this application but a good reminder that not all powder coating is equal.

Wow! That's surprising. I've tried the usual solvents like MEK and have never had so much as color transfer. Maybe yours wasn't heated thoroughly?

Web

Wow! That's surprising. I've tried the usual solvents like MEK and have never had so much as color transfer. Maybe yours wasn't heated thoroughly?

Web

I actually seen it on stewarts other pa-12 project when the flap and aileron hangers were powder coated by a guy on the field and acetone would melt it.

Just like using a word like epoxy as a general term. Many different qualities to it.

As to original question those shouldn’t affect it but instead use a contact cement like 3m fastbond 19 to glue fabric to the METAL as it will not dry out and release in a few years as poly tack/super seam will ALWAYS DO
use poly tack for fabric to fabric bonds as instructed, precoat a few coats first though.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

All powder coatings are not created equal. There are many types; PVC, Polyester, Urethanes, PVDF, Epoxy, and others. MEK will completely destroy PVC powder.

Many thanks all,

It seems to boil down to using the correct powder format - Epoxy seems to be my best bet.

Frank

Good epoxy polymide paint is almost impossible to get anymore too, because of the VOC regulations. I used to use PPG aquapon 35, nothing would attack it, now it is obsolete. Now they have a PPG high gloss epoxy, I may have to try that. My only issue is that I have to drive 200 miles because we have California air regulations and no good quality paint is allowed. Not even oil based varnish....denied!

Back