• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska Flight Planning Website

tedwaltman1

FOUNDER
Delta, CO
Combining my Alaska trip experiences, along with helpful input gleaned from countless Internet searches, I have a new “Fly Your Plane To Alaska” website: http://fly2ak.com.

This site is a comprehensive, one-stop, source for all manner of information to help pilots efficiently achieve their lifelong goal of flying to Alaska. Hopefully this site helps pilots avoid the endless Internet searches across an impractical number of websites for that last illusive tip or question. But if you do find something missing please let me know and I will add it!

There are custom maps for each route, along with marked mid-route optional alternate paths. Tips on everything from preferred fuel/food stops, many weather sources, obscure web cam links not listed elsewhere, personal experience notes (from me and others), suggestions for clearing customs…in short I strove to assemble everything in one location.

Thank you for taking a few moments to view the site. I’ll continue to frequently update it with more pictures, links, info.

A special heartfelt thank you for those who posted so many lessons-learned and individual tips in related forum topics throughout the years (Bill Rusk, Mike mcs repair, Mike Vivion, Stewart, Gary, CubFlier, Denny, Phil, Gordon, Skywagon8, Jeff, George aktango58, CubDriver2, Olibuilt, Schnell49, MauleGuy, NimpoCub, Cub1, Ridgerunner, gbflyer, Patrol Guy, Mike Woodson, … & many, many others—please forgive me if I left off your name).

Ted Waltman
ted@fly2ak.com

Ted, thank you for taking the time to post this! Its the best information i've seen so far on flying to AK from the lower 48. Can I ask you about the transponder requirements...did you install one in your plane, or get a waiver? Any suggestions?

Ted,

Good work! You’ve obviously put a lot of effort into this, and it shows. Hopefully, as you suggested, this will become a “living document” as you and others add and update content.

MTV

Good question Nigel. I'll add a FAQ on the transponder with links today.

I have had a transponder on all flights over the years. One can get a waiver--easy process so at least one friend who did so conveys. I'll do some digging here in a few minutes and post an update.

Once again, Ted has pulled together genuinely useful information in a single site. YAY Ted!

Now what is everyone else on the interwebs gonna do with their uninformed speculation and opinions?

Thanks. cubscout

I added a section on the "Customs" page with the headline of "Transponder Required." Links are there regarding the requirement, supplemental information and a link to the waiver application form.

Thank you for noting this missing piece on the site.

I'm hoping to head up this Summer. I'm flexible, but my current rough plan is to head up mid August or so and head back mid-September. Why then? 1) Good chance for better weather then (last year was awesome)--though weather is such a crap shoot any timeframe; 2) Fall colors are spectacular; 3) Decent chance with dark nights to see the Northern Lights (we did last year); 4) Gravel bars are definitely maximally exposed with late season low water levels; 5) Maybe this virus stuff will be over and done with!

I'm hoping to head up this Summer. I'm flexible, but my current rough plan is to head up mid August or so and head back mid-September. Why then? 1) Good chance for better weather then (last year was awesome)--though weather is such a crap shoot any timeframe; 2) Fall colors are spectacular; 3) Decent chance with dark nights to see the Northern Lights (we did last year); 4) Gravel bars are definitely maximally exposed with late season low water levels; 5) Maybe this virus stuff will be over and done with!

weather seems to always go crappy come august-ish....

Mid-August in Alaska and Yukon Territory on we often have an increase of southwesterly jet stream flow that can bring the remains of ex-western Pacific storms. Those short wave events are mostly rain and wind. By mid-September northwesterly flow of colder air from Siberia can mix in and our first snows arrive. They are typically short lived and melt but any lifting by terrain downwind (or west to east across the State) can create low visibility via fog and precip. Not every year but it's worth monitoring.

Gary

Thank you for the first-hand weather updates Gary & Mike. Last year was an aberration for sure (perfect wx all summer except smoke). August 2018 rained most of the month. I'm flexible--desire and basic commitment to head up but no firm dates yet.

For sure, Alaska is having a read winter this year. Last winter the McCarthy area was almost always warmer every day than here in Denver. This winter McCarthy is often 30 to 40 degrees colder (or more!).

Hi Ted, thanks for the Transponder link/info. I'm looking at going the first week of September and come back the 3rd week of September. My daughter and I. She has about 6 weeks off before she starts her 'real job' and we are thinking of taking advantage of part of that time. I've made the trip once and understand those fast moving fronts...sucks flying into them but if you get in between them coming home, can make for nice, fast return flight!

Leaving from where. What aircraft?

Hi Ted, thanks for the Transponder link/info. I'm looking at going the first week of September and come back the 3rd week of September. My daughter and I. She has about 6 weeks off before she starts her 'real job' and we are thinking of taking advantage of part of that time. I've made the trip once and understand those fast moving fronts...sucks flying into them but if you get in between them coming home, can make for nice, fast return flight!

Added link to KML file (Google Earth; ForeFlight) of uncharted backcountry "airstrips" in Wrangell St. Elias area around McCarthy. Under the "Route" item, "McCarthy Area."

Ted

Thank you for taking the time to put this website together. Awesome job!!

You have helped a bunch of folks. Well done!!

Thank you

Bill

I used the APP "Flashpass" two years ago. I highly recommend it. Help was a phone call or text away and it made my crossing back into the US a total breeze. I crossed at Dorothy Scott, but I think with this COVID hysteria it may not be open anymore:evil:

Back