• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Can "DOPE " be applied over Stewart's ekobond?

Vito

Hi everyone!

This is my first time asking for help in here! This is the situation:

My boyfriend and I are restoring a PA-12 super cruiser from 1947. So... we are just getting started.

We are from Argentina, so a couple a months ago we purchase Stewart System Ekobond in USA and we brang it back to the south. But we wanted to use DOPE on top of it.

The question is: Can we use Dope on top of Ekobond? Because ekobond is water based and DOPE is nitrate... something...

Sorry to bother but it's really expensive for to get the materials and I would rather look for help and opinions instead of just "try it".

Thank you all!

And there is a picture of us eating Japanese food. Just because... IMG-20190709-WA0016.jpeg

Sent from my SM-A505G using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG-20190709-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20190709-WA0016.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 190
not going to work....

dope has NO "adhesion" characteristics, it only melts into itself (dope), it will not adhere to things...and sometimes not even to dry old dope....

If it was the old days I would have gladly traded you a DC3 full of covering supplies for a load of dope:p

We are not using DOPE as ekobond. We wanna use dope instead of ekobrush

There isn't any product called ekobrush in our system, not sure what you are trying to do here. EkoBond is our glue, EkoFill is our UV coating, and EkoPoly Premium is our top coat for fabric. We can make repairs over other systems if they are taken down to silver so there is some compatability. Just not sure what you are trying to do. We can ship to S. America, not an issue.

Mike is right about the two not being compatible; dope on top of EkoFill would not be recommended.

Marty

Marty

Sorry! The autocorrector... the question is: can use DOPE instead of EkoFill? Sorry for my mistake.

There isn't any product called ekobrush in our system, not sure what you are trying to do here. EkoBond is our glue, EkoFill is our UV coating, and EkoPoly Premium is our top coat for fabric. We can make repairs over other systems if they are taken down to silver so there is some compatability. Just not sure what you are trying to do. We can ship to S. America, not an issue.

Mike is right about the two not being compatible; dope on top of EkoFill would not be recommended.

Marty

Marty

Not sure why you are trying to reinvent this. ??? For dope systems they use a bonding coat(s) to bond to the fabric like Dac-proofer or rando bond depending on the system you choose. As dope doesn’t bond well to it.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

This is an example of mixing different covering materials with disastrous results. https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=35828 Steve Wittman was a well known old time aviator in North America.

As mike mcs repair says dope doesn't stick well to other materials. When used on dacron if not applied properly it can peal off in sheets because it can not be absorbed into the man made fibers. Dope works well on natural fibers such as cotton or linen because the fibers absorb the wet dope capturing the first coat. When dope is used over dope, each additional coat softens the previous coat in order to become one bonded layer. SO if the dope can not soften and penetrate the Ekobond which you have already installed, there is no guarantee that it with remain adhered over time. Most paints are just layered on top of the previous coat unlike dope which bonds itself into one coat.

I myself witnessed an accident in which I saw the fabric start to lift at one end of the top wing on a biplane. It quickly lifted across the span of the wing, followed by peeling back toward the trailing edge. All of the fabric was flapping straight up at the wing trailing edge. Fortunately the pilot was wearing a parachute so he survived with minor injuries. The airplane did not. I do not know what type of covering materials were on this plane. All I can say is that they came off quickly.

Since what you are suggesting has not been tested, we all highly recommend that you do not attempt this.

This is the answer I was looking for. Mixing sistems: no longer in our plans!!!

Thank you so much!
This is an example of mixing different covering materials with disastrous results. https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=35828 Steve Wittman was a well known old time aviator in North America.

As mike mcs repair says dope doesn't stick well to other materials. When used on dacron if not applied properly it can peal off in sheets because it can not be absorbed into the man made fibers. Dope works well on natural fibers such as cotton or linen because the fibers absorb the wet dope capturing the first coat. When dope is used over dope, each additional coat softens the previous coat in order to become one bonded layer. SO if the dope can not soften and penetrate the Ekobond which you have already installed, there is no guarantee that it with remain adhered over time. Most paints are just layered on top of the previous coat unlike dope which bonds itself into one coat.

I myself witnessed an accident in which I saw the fabric start to lift at one end of the top wing on a biplane. It quickly lifted across the span of the wing, followed by peeling back toward the trailing edge. All of the fabric was flapping straight up at the wing trailing edge. Fortunately the pilot was wearing a parachute so he survived with minor injuries. The airplane did not. I do not know what type of covering materials were on this plane. All I can say is that they came off quickly.

Since what you are suggesting has not been tested, we all highly recommend that you do not attempt this.

When using the Stewart System take your time and follow the direction to the letter. Marty57 is a factory rep. So a great resource.

Back