• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Old U.S. Gauge Oil Pressure and Temp. Combo

Patric_L

Hi folks,

I have some trouble with an U.S. Gauge Oil Pressure and Temperature indicator. Oil temp. never worked since we purchased the plane, the previous owner cut the capillary line and added an ugly VDO temp. instrument. Oil Pressure worked fine on our U.S. Gauge instrument.
Since we wanted to clean up our panel and make a new one I sent the U.S.Gauge to the U.S. for a repair. Repair plus 2 times shipping (Germany to US and back) plus taxes...I ended up with a >400$ bill and waitet over 7 weeks. Then it came back with a new capillary.
I was surprised that the temp unit showed nothing (below 40°F) when it was here in my desk because I thought it should show room temperature. I contacted the guys who took my money and they said it has to be in the airplane to show the correct temperature...Well I installed it and took it for a flight, it still shows nothing. I'm a bit pissed at this point.

The repair guys told me that it may have been shaken to much during shipping so it's calibration is way off and I have to send it back. Of course I am not very interested in having another 7 weeks downtime. Is it possible to calibrate it by ourself? Is this whole shipping bounced the calibration off scenario realistic?

Thanks in advance
Patric

Keystone Instruments in Lock Haven rebuilt that instrument for me a few months ago. So I know they can do it. They could probably answer your question regarding calibrating it yourself. Mine registered room temp without being installed too. Good Luck.

A quick check is to put the bulb in boiling water and see if the gauge reads close to 212F. Test works if the gauge is in the plane or on the work table. I check them before installation to save a few cusswords.

A quick check is to put the bulb in boiling water and see if the gauge reads close to 212F. Test works if the gauge is in the plane or on the work table. I check them before installation to save a few cusswords.

I tried that when I got it back...it showed nothing, the needle didn't move. I asked wagaero if thats normal, they answered that is has to be connected to the engine...didn't make sense to me but I tried it....nothing.

I tried that when I got it back...it showed nothing, the needle didn't move. I asked wagaero if thats normal, they answered that is has to be connected to the engine...didn't make sense to me but I tried it....nothing.

I would get my money back from Wagaero and send it to antique instrument.

Tim

capillary tube probably has a leak, they are filled with all sorts of temperature sensitive chemicals like Tricholoroethelene or ether which are nasty. No option to repair yourself. Good luck, Tim

My capillary tube just broke at the bulb. Repairable? Any sources for new/rebuilt gauges? CubCarfters out of stock, not going to use WagaAero, nothing in Anchorage I can find.

Thx Chuck

My capillary tube just broke at the bulb. Repairable? Any sources for new/rebuilt gauges? CubCarfters out of stock, not going to use WagaAero, nothing in Anchorage I can find.

Thx Chuck

Exactly the same problem here yesterday, final step in fitting the Casper Spin-on filter (which looks brilliant and Bill @ Casper has been fantastic by the way) I think the tube jammed in its retaining collar and just twisted a bit too far, small hiss and a bit of clear liquid emerged :roll: So the only step in the process that wasn't Casper related and it broke!! I'm based in UK, does anyone know of a good source to get the tube repaired and the liquid refilled over here please? I've been emailing classic car instrument repairers all morning just in case.

FeWYmDRYScuyMNV3ed0qig.jpg

I agree completely with the comments above in this thread about working fine when not plugged into the aircraft, I looked at a picture I took of the panel with my new key mag switch 2 days ago and the Oil Temp gauge was reading ambient temperature and the bulb was literally just hanging on the firewall at that point!!

RZl4JjvqTUiP0TQPVpQHqw.jpg

Attachments

• FeWYmDRYScuyMNV3ed0qig.jpg
    FeWYmDRYScuyMNV3ed0qig.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 136
  • RZl4JjvqTUiP0TQPVpQHqw.jpg
    RZl4JjvqTUiP0TQPVpQHqw.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 131
Back