• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Members only ?????

85Mike

Washington
As a once member, I have arrived at old age am and no longer flying my beloved C185 and PA12-180.Medical problems and retirement have caused me to quit. Those airplanes gave me many hours of enjoyment. Also, I gained many hours of experience. I first flew my then owned 182 to Alaska in 1986 with a map and a compass!! It amazes me how many people are asking for info on flying to AK in the members only forum. I have 28 years experience flying from WA to AK and can not contribute to their questions.
Mike

LOL. I finished remodeling the house and started scratch-building an airplane and my annual out-of-pocket expenses went down 50%.

"If it flys, floats, or ? it's cheaper to rent than own" But at a certain age giving up unhealthy food and activity can become a savings account to be well spent and enjoyed.

Gary

I don't even own a supercub, but I do get a lot of knowledge & enjoyment out of participating on this site--
well worth the annual contribution I make.
IMHO there is more knowledge to be gained here about my chosen vice (Cessna skywagons) than on the 180/185 club site.

I’m sorry to hear about any pilot exiting active piloting and I welcome their wisdom from days past. C’mon, Mike. Keep a toe in the pool. Wisdom unspoken is wisdom lost.

The member’s section incentivizes membership. In the big picture that’s a good thing. I’ve considered not re-upping several times but I always find the small fee provides a value, and I believe in pay-to-play so to participate should warrant a contribution to costs. I wish more people would find reason to contribute instead of lurking.

I don't even own a supercub, but I do get a lot of knowledge & enjoyment out of participating on this site--
well worth the annual contribution I make.
IMHO there is more knowledge to be gained here about my chosen vice (Cessna skywagons) than on the 180/185 club site.

Well yeah, this site is way more active for skywagons than the moribund club site.

I just re-upped. I’m like Stewart, every year I consider letting my membership lapse but always cough up the money. Just an exercise I go through with every subscription I have, but this one always keeps me coming back. Between the good info and the various threads that take me back to my days in Alaska it’s money well spent for me.

I appreciate this folks! It makes me think maybe we do need a category for the retired from flying - not really a "lifetime" membership, but something like that.

Thinking cap on...

sj

Being a paying member has saved me untold 1000s of $$ by learning how to do it myself. Thus freeing up those 1000s of $$ to spend on upgrades.

As many know, AK has the PFD. During application you can choose to "pick, click, give" a portion to an organization that could use the financial boost. Perhaps that option could be offered here to "give away" some memberships.

My plan would be to have the top half of 1% of sc.org members pay so that the rest of us could have FREE memberships for life.

I appreciate this folks! It makes me think maybe we do need a category for the retired from flying - not really a "lifetime" membership, but something like that.

Thinking cap on...

sj
I too understand being a little short at times.
SJ please take half of what I donate and put it towards helping others.

SJ, how about offering "the rest of us" the option to "sponsor" or subsidize those "retired" pilots? I'd be willing to kick in a few extra bucks to help defray the expenses you incur in offering them "lifetime" status. I learn a bunch from those guys that I can apply to my flying, and hate to lose them. Perhaps if they provided their certificate numbers to show they are pilots ('cause "once a pilot, always a pilot"), and an "experience statement", along with the fact that they've retired from flying? Just thinking out loud...

I don't think that was the OP's point. $25 is indeed chicken feed - not enough to buy lunch.
And of course this is the singular most valuable forum for taildraggers - this is "the source" for information.

Mike is not "cheaping out." He is wondering why on earth anyone actually seeking help would restrict answers to paying members only?

I too have wondered that. When I seek information I ask as large a group as possible. That is why this site is so great - it has a very large knowledge base that includes many non-paying contributors.

Opinion.

"Sponsor a Weiner" comes to mind...

You may note that 85Mike has been restored to membership status while we sort this out, thanks to the benevolence of his fans and followers.

sj

Is it worth $25? Sj needs new shoes!

I don't think that was the OP's point. $25 is indeed chicken feed - not enough to buy lunch.
And of course this is the singular most valuable forum for taildraggers - this is "the source" for information.

Mike is not "cheaping out." He is wondering why on earth anyone actually seeking help would restrict answers to paying members only?
I too have wondered that. When I seek information I ask as large a group as possible. That is why this site is so great - it has a very large knowledge base that includes many non-paying contributors.

Opinion.

Sponser a weiner and ‘cats’ in the hangar titles should soon have this site flooded with paying customers!!

May need a ‘pay per view’ option.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
Just a couple thoughts:
Isn't the Members Only forum a perk of actually being a member?
Should all the "providers" of information be exempt from paying dues and only charging the "seekers" ?
Just don't know what I'm missing here.........it's 25 friggin' bucks.

I understand the point and agree with 85Mike. If you want "ALL" the info you can obtain from this site, don't post your questions in the "Members Only" forum... I just don't think he articulated it very well...
On the other hand, it's $25 a year... What I've gained from THIS site, is enough to pay for a lifetime of membership dues.. 54 years of flying X $25/yr = $1350 .... I saved more than that on one Annual from info I got here ... "free" .......become a member!!

OLD MEMBERS... it's my opinion, that we have a "duty" to pass on what we have learned. Sites like this (the best, in my opinion) are a good way to do that... If you can't justify donating $25/yr to something that's given you a lifetime of joy, and is helping pass that on to others, then nothing said here will change your mind..

Last edited:
Back