• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aera 660 (Garmin)

texmex

Hanging Rock, Australia.
I went to send Web a private message, but thought it was better in the public for all to learn.

My question is this;

I’ve asked the following to Garmin, but am yet to get an answer. But is the Garmin GA 35 GPS aerial compatible with the Aera 660?

I haven’t asked this, but if you mounted an Aera 660 in a C180 panel, would you attach an external aerial?

As always, thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Texmex.

From what i read the area 660 has a external but doesnt need it in most applications including panel mount
Try it without and add if needed

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

For most situations, the Garmin panel mounted units work well with their own internal antennas. If you need or want one, keep in mind that Garmin stuff uses a 'powered' antenna. That means that there is 5 volts on the coax center conductor going out to the antenna. As a rule Garmin antenna work with Garmin units.

Web

FWIW when I installed my pre-STC G5, the installation manual said that it had it's own internal GPS antenna,
but being mounted in the panel, reception might be sketchy.
They recommended an antenna, a pretty spendy one,
but also said that any GPS antenna meeting a certain spec would work.
Turns out that the Garmin GA25BNC antenna meets that spec-- $20 from gpscity.com.

For most situations, the Garmin panel mounted units work well with their own internal antennas. If you need or want one, keep in mind that Garmin stuff uses a 'powered' antenna. That means that there is 5 volts on the coax center conductor going out to the antenna. As a rule Garmin antenna work with Garmin units.

Web

Let me rephrase that; Garmin portable units mounted on the panel usually work well with their own internal antennas.

Web

Let me rephrase that; Garmin portable units mounted on the panel usually work well with their own internal antennas.

Web
My Garmin 695 works well even inside the hangar on it's internal antenna. Have never seen a need for an external antenna.

When I had my Area 660 installed I elected to go with an external antenna just to give it a better chance to receive a signal. It has worked great, without any issues.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

For the GARMIN 660 once acquired satellite status and relative signal strength are displayed on the upper right screen via an increasing number and height of vertical green bars. Pressing the Main Menu>GPS info tabs shows the GPS constellation and signal strength.

Try it outside the plane then again soon when inside and note any signal degradation or loss of 360* Constellation coverage. Same in flight...see if the GPS remains in 3-D mode or drops to 2-D or lower when changing from level flight to climbs, dives, or turns. The higher and closer to the windscreen the better in my experience. I run a 660 w/o external antenna.

If you have an external GA25 antenna attached temporarily remove it and see if the signal strength and Constellation population significantly deteriorate.

Gary

Thanks for everybody’s thoughts.

I’ll try without and if I think it needs one the small low profile one mounted in front of the V-bars would be step two.

….I’ll try without and if I think it needs one the small low profile one mounted in front of the V-bars would be step two.

That $20 Garmin GA25BNC that I bought might be what you need, if it's compatible with the 660.

Not compatible. That one uses a BNC connector. The 660 is compatible with a GA25MCX or a GA27C, both of which use an MCX connector (VERY small).

Web

Not compatible. That one uses a BNC connector. The 660 is compatible with a GA25MCX or a GA27C, both of which use an MCX connector (VERY small). Web

GA25MCX $27 [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-ga25-mcx-antenna

GA27C $60 [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-ga27c-antenna[/FONT][/FONT]

Back