• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

compression testers

hotrod180

FRIEND
Port Townsend, WA
Up until a year or two ago, I was happily ignorant believing that a compression tester was a compression tester.
Then it was pointed out to me that at least some compression testers are offered in both a <5" bore and >5" bore version.
The Continental 470 has a 5" bore, which one should be used?
If I get the chance, I' gonna try to do a compression check with each & see if they read differently.

I’m certainly no expert but here’s my experience. My hangar buddy has the small bore tester and I have the large bore version. I bought the large bore because my engine has >5” bore. We’ve used both testers on both airplanes and my big bore tester yields higher compression numbers than his on both engines. Typically 6 to 8 pounds different. That’s all I know.

Previous versions of AC43.13-1 called for a different orifice size for engines below 1000 cu in, and engines a over 1000 cu in. The current version change from cubic inches to bore diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous versions of AC43.13-1 called for a different orifice size for engines below 1000 cu in, and engines a over 1000 cu in. The current version change from cubic inches to bore diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, that is quoted in the thread I linked along with back to back compression test on same engine with different gauge sets of differing orifice size.

Back