• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sensenich W80DM Composite prop on a 150HP instead of Borer?

Atxcruiser

SPONSOR
Anyone run the Sensenich Composite/ Wood prop on a 150HP? Would like to shave a few pounds off the nose of my modified -12 and still be "legal". Anyone have any performance feedback? Worth it or no? Durable enough off field?

I went the opposite direction. I have a W80DM x 40" pitch, it came with the airplane. That's just about perfect for 150 on a Cub, and favors take-off / climb. It's about half the weight of the Borer, but gives up performance. My "just right" Borer is an 82/42 and will out climb and out cruise the Sens. For me the performance increase was worth the minor weight / CG penalty, but my CG wasn't bad to begin with. In my case I would not go back, but I've seen some 12's with pretty dismal numbers. I suppose it depends on how far north your CG is, but I think you'll be disappointed in the lack of bang for your buck. If you're not operating commercial and not the worried about ramp inspections, I'd look seriously at a Catto 82x39. I have one and its perfect. It performs identically to the 82x42 Borer and weighs a couple pounds less than the Sens. It's the Goldilocks prop. There's just that pesky certification thing.....but lifes too short. Screw it, I'm running the Catto and loving every minute of it.
-- Other things to consider are a Niagara aluminium oil cooler, Skytech starter and a lightweight 20a alternator, especially mounted to the accy pad.

Last edited:
Appreciate the feedback and performance comparison. That is what I am looking for as I would like to pull the trigger on a new prop sooner than later. I have been told more than once the Catto is the way to go.

Good one, I torture myself with that decision daily. I think back to my 8 hour deposition with the lawyers over the mid-air I was in. Glad I had all my ducks in a row and all their tricks back fired on them. I try and justify a Catto by the fact that I only use my Cub off the beaten path. Stuff happens, came within 10 feet of getting clobbered upon landing last week by a student and instructor doing an RNAV approach and not using the radio. I know how lawyers work, doesn't matter what the facts are just how you can make things appear. I am not giving them any fuel for their fire.

Good one, I torture myself with that decision daily. I think back to my 8 hour deposition with the lawyers over the mid-air I was in. Glad I had all my ducks in a row and all their tricks back fired on them. I try and justify a Catto by the fact that I only use my Cub off the beaten path. Stuff happens, came within 10 feet of getting clobbered upon landing last week by a student and instructor doing an RNAV approach and not using the radio. I know how lawyers work, doesn't matter what the facts are just how you can make things appear. I am not giving them any fuel for their fire.

As I like to say, everything's fine until it isn't.
Airplane out of annual, no medical, bootleg mods....
no big deal until something bad happens.
Like the mid-air in this post, and the trial-by-fire which followed.
Glad you came out of it OK Steve-- both physically & legally.

I have a 80-42 sen wood composite on a 150 cub I had a sen 76-56 which was really fast but a ground lover. I bought the 80-42 because I was going to upgrade my cylinders to 160+ hp. But I didn't think I have the right motor now to do it. The 80-42 is a little to much prop for the 150 I am told. But It was a drastic improvement on take off and climb performance for me. Plus half the weight off the nose. I buddy has a borer 82-42 on his 160 hp and he can take off about 120 faster than I can but he has 10 hp and he is lighter than me! The big thing for me is rpm. I can only get 2500 out of mine and he can get 2700 out of the borer. Makes a big difference. And like a said I have a 160 hp prop on mine. One good thing is. I indicate 100mph with the wood sen and he only indicates 88 at cruise. Always a trade off

Back