• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

1959 180 passenger side firewall picture

DENNY

SPONSOR
Trying to find some pictures of stock 1959 180 seaplane passenger side engine side of firewall especially air diverter mine was hacked up trying to get it back to fit a seaplane mount.
DENNY

THANKS !! I need the Seaplane 180. Plane was upside down at lake hood a while back and fixed with 182 land parts, for unknown to me reason they changed the air diverter position to landplane (more outboard). Trying to get back on floats this summer so have to move inboard to avoid vertical support on engine mount. I have seaplane mount and removed air diverter and patch from firewall. Now have parts and a lot of holes that don't line up.
DENNY

You structural guys need to clue me in on this one. I got curious why Cessna would move that air control around from a land plane to a sea plane. I've looked in my early model parts books and service manuals and I can't find any reference to alternate positions. While there are listings for a separate land plane and sea plane engine mountsa, there doesn't seem to be any such listings for the air control or the firewall itself. Can someone show me where to find the info?

Web

I agree the IPC shows the same firewall and same cabin heat valve assy through s/n 50661. So, given that the 'air mixer box' is the same, what is the difference between the 0751001-1 engine mount (land) and 0751001-23 (seaplane) mount for 180s through 50661 (1959)?

I've never seen two openings on the same firewall and only see one part number called out for this firewall. Genuinely curious what the real scoop is here. Is the opening moved for the seaplane mount or is this dealt with another way?

Web

Early model 180 did not have the vertical tube on the motor mount. With vertical tube the airbox must be moved in board. Mine had early model set up however modifications have been made and it looks like the later model in the picture above is what it started with. Just trying to figure out when the vertical tube came into play. And where you get fresh air from once you change the diffuser box.DENNY

Last edited:
Right, so if early 180 seaplanes do not have the vertical engine mount tube, what is the difference between the 0751001-1 engine mount (land) and 0751001-23 (seaplane) mount for 180s through 50661 (1959).

Fresh air comes from an operable scoop on the side of the fuselage. The heat box allows warm air in or if closed it dumps that warm air into the cowl.

IMG_0883.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0883.JPG
    IMG_0883.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 327
I did an edit on my last post, did it on cellphone and it came out wrong.

Soooo just to add some more confusion into this. This is a Unicorn Cessna. The serial number is 624. Not 50624, but just 624. It was the prototype that had the 180C changes made to it. It has a Airworthiness that says it is a 1959, but the serial number 624 is listed under the 180C callout.

180_jeff are you sure that that fresh air scoop started in 1960? I could get one and stick it in if needed.

WEB
The air diverter box was in two locations depending on the seaplane vs landlplane. It is not shown it the parts book as far as I could find.

I am still chasing down as many planes as I can to look at them and figure out just how or what was original. Thanks for everyones input. Keep it coming.
DENNY

180_jeff are you sure that that fresh air scoop started in 1960? I could get one and stick it in if needed.
Breakpoint was either 50662 (1960) or 50912 ('61), off the top of my head. Need to look in IPC. Regardless, still curious what a 'seaplane mount' is on an early 180 with the "old style" cabin heat valve assy.

As far as an early 180 having that external air scoop added in order to install a vertical tube seaplane mount - that has been done many times.

My 1960 180C doesn’t have the side scoop. I’ve seen a few other 60’s and they didn’t have it either. Mine is a land plane. Hope that helps.

BTV
Thanks that does help. I suspect that in the early models when you went to a seaplane mount with vertical tubes and subsequent heat only diverter box on the outer firewall you simply lost the fresh air from the baffling and relied on the wing vents. The air distribution box that runs on the inside of the firewall has a hole drilled for the side scoop scat tube but it has been blanked off and no sign of side scoop patch. I think I can move the box and make it work. I have a few weeks before I start with rivets so if anyone can find a unmolested 180C seaplane that would help.
DENNY

OK I FOUND ONE!! Found a 180C with a virgin looking firewall. No fresh air vent on the cowling side. The combined fresh air/warm air diverter will fit to the inside of the vertical tube. It is tight but does fit. Thanks for the input.
DENNY

OK I FOUND ONE!! Found a 180C with a virgin looking firewall. No fresh air vent on the cowling side. The combined fresh air/warm air diverter will fit to the inside of the vertical tube. It is tight but does fit. Thanks for the input.
DENNY

pic?

Hope this works, looks like you get an extra pic

DENNY

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4715.jpg
    IMG_4715.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 138
Back