• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Float recommendations for Pa18-95

I'd vote for Aqua 1500s. EDO 1400s are on the TC, but a bit small on an 18, and probably hard to find these days.

The Aquas work fine. Stay away from the bigger floats, they weigh too much and are just too big in my opinion, for that airplane. Keep it light, and they'll work fine. Jack Brown's been using them on their J-3s for years, so they work.

MTV

Dittos

6a031812caba885cc3bfd137.jpg

62d5ad78adf430753a08451c.jpg

9c7a64374558e662ec4d986b.jpg

It’s a long shot to find, but Baumann 1500s are fantastic...I have them on my Taylorcraft and they are superb.

Please stop telling people to go with the Baumann 1500’s. It is having a serious impact on my ability to find a set!!

Good luck finding Baumanns. Aquas are available. It’s February.....buy a set of Aquas and you might be splashing around this summer. Baumanns......prolly not.

MTV

The 1500 Aqua float is a nice flat top design. Rugged built but HEAVY at 250lbs (that's only 10 lbs lighter than Edo 2000s ??)
Edo 1400s are 'the standard' but are pretty marginal in the wind, if your loaded! (Loaded being 2 bodies and half tanks) Plan on 15 mph as fronts submarining when downwind?? And burying a float while Xwind when loaded. ( Keep PDF handy)
So for just bombing around "by yourself" 1400's are an ok float........... Lots of em around here have had the rear struts shortened to get them to perform more like
1320's.
Folsoms: Put some 18/95s on PK 1800s years ago. And did multiple F/A on them, They only weigh 195 lbs.(Same as Baumans) That makes a nice safe great performer! A good friend of the family had one on PK 1800s on the same pond with another 95 Cub on 1400s, for years. They got off pretty much the 'same if they were both light' ; however with a 200lber in the back seat, the PK 1800s got on step in alot less distance, and you could safely fly it more wind, much better outfit. F/A only.
I saw in Alaska, a couple of PA 11s and a 18/ 95 on "Edo 1650s"; which is basically what a PK 1800 is; with a slightly wider stance; And they all performed very well. Fella that had one of the 11's, told me he was only "bout a second" behind his old 1320's when empty; But vastly superior when he was heavy........... And he could haul Alot more weight; without the back of the floats underwater...... None of these were F/A Ed. These guys all kept em at their homes in the bush........ Got their annuals on legal skis, or wheels. No one had insurance......
Good luck finding 1500 Baumans, "the best by far", but they about as hard to get; as a F/A is.

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
QUESTION. Can anyone tell me what the height of the top of my vertical stabilizer will be on my
J-3 cub when I put it on Aqua 1500 floats when it’s sitting on flat ground?

i am planning to tow it on a trailer once the floats are installed.

i might add that I’ll be picking the floats up in mid trip and I don’t have them here to measure. If someone knows the height of the Aqua float bolts at the top rigging when they are on hard ground I could figure it out.

Thanks Stu

Last edited:
I also need to know the width of the Aqua 1500 floats from outside to outside with the spreader bars installed.

i appreciate any help you folks can give me.

Stu

Back