• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cylinder replacement...... DANGER! DANGER!

The mechanic that pulled the cylinders off of my O-360 for a top overhaul didn’t know what a torque plate is.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Never seen them before either....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

There is a lycoming part number for them. I’ve seen them mentioned in one of the manuals. Lycoming one is horrendously expensive. I had to pull the cyl on a 66 hr engine. I didn’t want to risk anything. I read(online so take it with a grain of salt) the problem comes from pulling the cyl and then turning the prop you could spin a bearing. I’ll be using the plates from here out. Plus the the 66 hr engine I sent the nickel coated cyl back to the manufacture to hone. Figured I had no idea how long the cyl would be off for, can’t be good leaving it sit without the torque for long? Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a lycoming part number for them. I’ve seen them mentioned in one of the manuals. Lycoming one is horrendously expensive. I had to pull the cyl on a 66 hr engine. I didn’t want to risk anything. I read(online so take it with a grain of salt) the problem comes from pulling the cyl and then turning the prop you could spin a bearing. I’ll be using the plates from here out. Plus the the 66 hr engine I sent the nickel coated cyl back to the manufacture to hone. Figured I had no idea how long the cyl would be off for, can’t be good leaving it sit without the torque for long? Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your case moves that much to unlock a bearing from the lock recess when a cylinder comes off...........ummmm...

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back