• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

0320 up grade

skysigns

FRIEND
Yelm WA 98597
I have a 0320a2b 150 hp and wanting to up grad to a 160hp
looking for how holds the stc .i think the last time I did it was Alaska sea air any advice would be great

Engine converted to O-320-B2Bconfiguration and data plate stamped with “C” IAW LycomingService Instruction 1304J

dan d, I have to disagree after uping the compression on a few 150 hp O-320s to 160 hp.

Have flown a few of both and most seem to make a considerable difference in performance at the 160 mark. More than you might think of as 10 HP.

Have flown a few of both and most seem to make a considerable difference in performance at the 160 mark. More than you might think of as 10 HP.

I rebuilt a Narrowdeck 150hp. I considered using the 8.5 pistons

I live at 2500 msl and even in cold days rarely see density altitudes below 1000 msl.

Thinking even with the 160 hp piston , this engine will rarely see 150 horses much less 160

Any history of the bootlegged 160 horse engines popping cylinders without banana plates??

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I think the conversion is worthwhile. But something to consider is Most 150’s are converted at end of tbo/life when they are likely putting out less than 150 hp. I know when I converted it was very noticeable. I think the real test would be to compare a freshly overhauled 150 and 160. I sent lycon are narrow deck 150 and got back a wide deck 160. I would use them again.

Not to pile on but something that is objective is prop pitch. More than one guy on here has had to repitch props after installing an 8.5 to 1 top. Even Catto will recommend a different prop pitch depending on if you’re running a 150 or 160hp.

When’s the last time you saw a competitive stol comp. won with a 150 hp O-320? They are usually high compression + +

+6.6 % is noticeable on take off and definitely when loaded up.

The engine guys I've talked to say increasing compression by one adds approx 4% HP. That's what Lycoming used to rate my 390 going from 8.9-1 to 10-1. Continental estimates are more conservative. How a 320 goes from 150 to 160 has never made sense to me.

Last edited:
The engine guys I've talked to say increasing compression by one adds approx 4% HP. That's what Lycoming used to rate my 390 going from 8.9-1 to 10-1. Continental estimates are more conservative. How a 320 goes from 150 to 160 has never made sense to me.
I scratched myself bald-headed long ago, your turn...

I put some 11 to 1 cylinder/piston sets on an RV8 recently. The engine builder told me it won't make a huge difference until he goes up to altitude. It has electronic ignition, constant speed prop etc.

You believe higher octane produces more power?

A standard 320 uses 7-1 so upping compression to 8.5-1 may add 6%. My error was in thinking 320s used 7.5-1. Oops. What's more interesting is the bore is the same for 320s and 360s. 360s add 1/2" of stroke and get 20 hp. Add fuel injection and add another 20. That's a pretty big jump. Some guys say using 10-1 in a 320 makes 180+ hp but stock 360s typically perform better from what I've seen and heard. Displacement in action. Then there's the 390. Standard compression at 8.7-1 with bigger pistons and the same stroke as a 360. Rated at 210 hp. Up mine to 10-1 and Lycoming rates it at 220 hp, although some believe it's higher. The IO-400 had a longer stroke than the 390 and was rated at 215 hp but mine made 220 on a dyno on a very hot Dallas day. How these engines are rated for power output is a head scratcher. Piston size, stroke, compression, and fuel delivery all matter and the ratio doesn't appear to be linear. A good friend more familiar with high performance airplanes than anyone I know convinced me to increase the compression in my 390. He says high compression works better with bigger bores and in the 390/580 cylinders it's really impressive. Time will tell. Interesting topic. To me, anyway.

Last edited:
There are diminished returns for each compression point the higher you go.

StewartB you are forgetting to take Angle valve versus Parallel valve differences into account. Fuel injection doesn't add 20 hp to a 360 cubic inch Lycoming. More airflow through a tuned induction and angle valve heads makes the difference.

Screenshot_2020-02-26-11-18-06.png
Screenshot_2020-02-26-11-20-54.pngScreenshot_2020-02-26-11-15-52.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-02-26-11-18-06.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-26-11-18-06.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Screenshot_2020-02-26-11-15-52.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-26-11-15-52.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Screenshot_2020-02-26-11-20-54.png
    Screenshot_2020-02-26-11-20-54.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 195
Port and polish with cylinders flowed may give one better HP than stock setup. My guess is more than 10HP on an 0320.
John

That depends who you ask. Lycoming's Thunderbolt shop ports, polishes, and flow balances their cylinders. They say it makes 3-4 hp improvement in my IO-390.

You believe higher octane produces more power?
I did not say that the higher octane produces more power. The higher octane is used to assist the rest of the upgrades to produce the power without damaging the engine.

DJ is correct, fuel injection doesn't add 20 hp to a 360 cubic inch Lycoming. The engine in my Cub is a IO360-BiD. It produces 180 hp and is identical to a carburetor O-360 except for the fuel/air delivery method.

DJ is correct, fuel injection doesn't add 20 hp to a 360 cubic inch Lycoming.
It must. I can't tell you how many Barnstormer ads I've seen with parallel valve 360's that have been converted to injection and claiming to be 200 hp. I've actually called a couple pretending to be a potential buyer and asked how they got 200 hp. The answer was "By converting it to injection". Caveat emptor...

It must. I can't tell you how many Barnstormer ads I've seen with parallel valve 360's that have been converted to injection and claiming to be 200 hp. I've actually called a couple pretending to be a potential buyer and asked how they got 200 hp. The answer was "By converting it to injection". Caveat emptor...
That's called "California horsepower"

I agree, but you made a spelling error. It's Kalifornia. I think it also contains the backwards "R" but my computer can't do that.

Lycon has an stc for widedeck engines, narrow deck you’ll have to use lycoming’s service instruction and the parts book to change to a B-model

I have a narrow deck 0320 a2b and I have heard you can not put high compression pistons on that motor legally. I do not think its a B model. Is there away to do this?

Thank you for any advice. I bought a prop for a 160 so I am kind of in a pickle!

You'll need the banana plates for the cylinder bases and longer through studs. The studs were the hard part when I investigated it a few years back. I still have a narrow deck laying in the basement. My grandson will probably inherit it!

I think some narrow deck cylinders are spot-faced for the hold-down nuts, which makes them incompatible with banana plates and not usable for 160 HP.

We’ve all heard of bootleg 8.5 pistons in a ND 320 with no banana plates, and I’ve always wondered, say a guy is running a 82x42 or 41 borer, are his cylinder pressures any higher with the 8.5’s than they would be with the 7.0’s and a 74x56 or 58 cruise prop? I’ve always wanted a transducer to measure it... maybe some of the engineers/mathmeticiams here can give us a rough idea

Back