• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Amazing innovation in Southeast Alaska

Bill Rusk

BENEFACTOR
Sandpoint, Idaho
Folks

When I first flew my Cub (on floats) to Southeast Alaska in 2016 I had what I still think is one of the scariest experiences of my life, and I've had a few close calls over the years. I was heading to the Eagle River/Lake cabin. I was at about 1000' AGL entering a river drainage and I looked UP and saw a set of power lines ABOVE me. You just do NOT expect to see power lines at that altitude. It would be Soooo easy to plow into these lines because you are not looking for power lines at that altitude. They are marked on the sectional and they have marker balls on them but it still scares me every time I see them. That same power line is at the other end of the drainage where it hits the Behm Canal, although not quite as high as the set on the NW side, these lines are WAAYYY up there and almost as scary. If you are going to fly a floatplane in SE Alaska you better know where these suckers are. I've written about this before in my "Floats to Alaska" threads.

Here is an EXCELLENT video of how they put this power line in. It is a little long at 42 minutes but it is REALLY REALLY interesting. It took a massive amount of engineering, fortitude, innovation, money, and work. There is a lot of helicopter flying and beautiful SE Alaska scenery in the video as well. This is one of the coolest videos I've seen in a long time. There are amazing people in the world that can make something like this happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ygUlCERrug

Hope you enjoy it.

Bill

pretty good flying there!!

Erickson had a crane in Juneau for the tram. I was talking to a mechanic and he told me that the Skycrane transmissions were an interesting part. Some lasted 5 hours, others to TBO. Imagine changing out that expensive part after one day's operation- yikes.

Excellent, thanks Bill. I've always had a fascination with the S-64 as I witnessed the very first time that the rotor was turned on serial #1 in 1962 while I was working at Sikorsky. Did you know that serial #s 2 & 3 went to the German military? I saw them in the paint shop.

Skywagon8a you are right with two S-64 for the German Army. They were there just briefly. Maybe a year or two for testing. Then they decided to buy CH-53.

A few years ago I watched as a major power line was strung across a very active I-15 interstate a few miles from my place. A small helicopter strung the first line, which then pulled a bigger line, then the first cable, all with traffic below (150' below) and no special highway signs or barriers etc., no traffic interference at all. I think the average person has little appreciation for "the grid", and how it's one the world's great engineering marvels.

Pete etal

I think it is just amazing what man can, and does accomplish. Designing and building that S-64 chopper. The pilots that have the skill to fly it like that. The engineers that can design that cable, the support network for all the workers doing their job. The logistics of having everything on hand, organized so things don't get lost, and on and on.

There are some incredibly smart folks out there.

Bill

Skywagon8a you are right with two S-64 for the German Army. They were there just briefly. Maybe a year or two for testing. Then they decided to buy CH-53.
At the time the two S-64s were in the paint shop, the mock up of the CH-53 was in the experimental shop. This was also about the same time that I met the man himself, Igor Sikorsky.

A few years back Erickson was in the DC Area moving some AC units to the top of an office building. We were out on patrol and stumbled upon it. So cool to watch. We filmed it with the camera then burned a copy for the guys. Flew it over to Manassas and gave it to them. They let us climb all over the machine. It was amazing what they could do. I'll have to see if I still have the video at the base.

Back