• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Inspection rings

jimboflying

I have had a few inspection rings crack while in flight which are not so fun to fix. So I fabricated some with Carbon Fiber prepreg fabric and some with Dacron prepreg fabric. The result is that the Carbon fiber is very stiff and the Dacron is much more flexible. Which do you think would work best? Neither will break!.

8880C003-C359-4189-A47F-4FB9836C9E9E.jpeg

Attachments

• 8880C003-C359-4189-A47F-4FB9836C9E9E.jpeg
    8880C003-C359-4189-A47F-4FB9836C9E9E.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 804
I would use Steve's aluminum ones, or have some cut out of aluminum locally. And plus one on the doilys.

Every once in a while an inspection plate disappears - especially since we use the 99 cent versions instead of the $22 original Piper plates. Punch a hole about 45 degrees from the spring and run a #4 PK screw in to the Pierce ring.

The plastic rings won't hold the PK screw, and they do crack. Solution after the fact is aluminum segments glued inside the wing. I use Pliobond and clamp overnight.

At least do the PK screws in the slipstream.

I am testing a Carbon Concepts inspection panel under the tank on the Maule replacing the one(s) that keep blowing off. Still there after quite a while.

have seen that, but a few years later they come loose.... I did not install them, just observed it... might be installer issue, or surface oxidation?
I have aluminum inspection rings that have been installed for 20 plus years, no issue whatsoever. I always install a fabric dollie over the grommet.

Me too. Encapsulate that puppy.

My first recover I was looking for those weird shaped celluloid cutouts that go at the back of the stab - Ken Smith, in 1968, told me to just cut them out of aluminum.

Still in use, 51 years and two cover jobs later. Still hold #4 PK screws.

Back