• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hangar home

Did you or do you, have the nice widgeon in ANC? Yup, I'd say lucky guy and good on you...

Yes, had 3 Widgeons over 25 years or more, great airplanes, lucky I had them, great little sports car amphibs. The last Widgeon is now on east coats, yellow/white all of them lived in ANC at Lake Hood for many years.
Thanks,
John

I forget how good I have it until I see a rented, unheated hangar, miles from the pilot's home. Today I took my tail ski off while doing a load of laundry in the upstairs shop, while the dog and cat watched. I had a fire going in the inside wood boiler, and this evening the house is warm from as the hot water from the shop has heated the house slab. I'd rather my house burned down then my shop/hanger combo, seriously!

Time to work on the airplane. I put up some big ceiling fans to move the heat. The floor is much warmer now. Hey, my robe matches my toolbox. Style points!

IMG_0951.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Here's a pic of the hangar home I recently finished up here in New Hampshire. The hangar footprint is 50x70'. 2 bedrooms upstairs in house.

20191208_140146.jpg

Dave

Attachments

• 20191208_140146.jpg
    20191208_140146.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 274
House on right, hangar/shop on left, with unheated out building next to it. I don't like taking up valuable heated areas (even though I have free heat) for things that don't need it. The winter time ski runway is in use, straight out the hangar, the summertime one is on the left, situated so that I can start my takeoff up on my level main parking area. My first property was built up over 28 years, hand to mouth, house, shop, and hangar all at different angles to each other due to factors beyond my control, mainly no money. This property was build bucks up, with money from selling the first, and I made a real point of keeping everything squared up and parallel to the gravel road just out of sight. Only a pilot could appreciate this. I often notice entire subdivisions of homes, all built to a common angle, with one house many degrees off because they screwed up the layout, no one living there can tell, but I can, and do! 1/4 mile of stream and trees off to the right, with a bike path with 3 bridges over the creek, hydro electric power plant using the creek. Champagne living on a beer budget, I like to say. 1200' above the valley floor, with 9K peaks in my backyard, oriented perfect for dead stick ridge soaring (Yee Haw!) ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J9v433C0nM

Attachments

• eve 004.jpg
    eve 004.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 163
Don't catch a wing on that pole! :oops:

I have a good 2' clearance, if I stay on the centerline, and I always crowd the opposite side so 3'4' clearance. IF I crowd the near side....it is close. I've had a Maule pilot clear it easily,what the heck, here's the vid.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwpVWDk2txc Just re-watched it, I see he took off below the pole, but I know another time he taxied up to the upper staging area/parking lot. That tower is anchored with 6 yards of concrete, 8' deep, so I'm not afraid of tipping the wind turbine over if I do snag it. That's a grid tied 2.5 KW turbine, and between it and the windsock at the bottom of the strip, I get great wind info. If I am arriving and see the sock saying it's dead calm, but the turbine is spinning, that gives me a heads up that the thermals are popping and to be extra cautious on final.

There's no bad way to live with your airplanes but in my world? I absolutely love wandering out the kitchen door into the hangar with bare feet in a robe with a cup of coffee in the morning. I wish I'd done the hangar house thing a lot sooner.

This is so true. Glad our place has radiant floors in the hangar! (Although I usually have on flip-flops...)

Good stuff, Stewart.

I would add that no matter where you want to buy or rent - check out your neighbors. Every field has what we termed in the Marine Corps the "10-percenter." If you have ten folks on the field, one of them is going to be a sh--bird. Never seen it not happen! Take the time to meet/interview the neighbors on both sides, and talk at length with the field manager about benefits AND "gotcha's."

Research and read the covenants and easements - there are frequently surprises therein.

Find out if there is formal maintenance or just everybody pitching in as needed.

Mine is a tasteful but modest house attached to a really nice big garage. The point I was trying to make is that to me? The attachment is a key feature. My wife is also very chemical and exhaust smell sensitive and we haven't had a whiff of any hangar smells inside the house. My home insurer took no exception to anything when they inspected the property, and they did come out and look. Even with a big fuel tank in an attached lean-to. That was a pleasant surprise.

One bit of advice? Pay attention to homeowner or user fees for the runway maintenance. They may be part of a homeowner association fee or they may be in addition to. My neighbors get wound up about that. To me the fee is less than I was paying the State to park one airplane at Lake Hood so I'm not unhappy, but fees are fees and you ought to know how they're determined and how they're spent.

We are still interested in finding a residential airpark/hangar home. Where is best place to check - barnstormers?

We are still interested in finding a residential airpark/hangar home. Where is best place to check - barnstormers?
Google: "residential airpark/hangar home for sale". There is a long list from various sources. Where do you want to live?

Depending on where you are looking, word of mouth is frequently productive. Put out the message on various forums and perhaps at some fields owner groups.
That's how we happened upon our hangar-apartment. It was never "on the market," per se. Seller contacted me through this forum after I put up a posting expressing interest in a geographic area.

A neighbor's very nice house and detached hangar is for sale on a 2200 ft turf runway in North Carolina, identifier NC30.

Judy honey, you've waited long enough, after thirty eight years I'm building you a garage and yes it will be attached to the house.
No I won't store equipment, tools or other stuff in it, it will be your own space separated from my space.
You don't have to thank me, you deserve it!
IMG_1411.JPGIMG_1398.jpgIMG_1597.jpgIMG_7468.jpgI don't know why I made her wait sooo long.

Attachments

• IMG_1411.JPG
    IMG_1411.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1398.jpg
    IMG_1398.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_7468.jpg
    IMG_7468.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
My wife and I are putting our house on the market soon. Not sure where we will end up. I’m still working at PAX River, my one DAR is out of Baltimore FSDO, and the other is out of the New Cumberland MIDO, so likely stay in the PA, DE, MD, VA, WV area but not ruling other areas out. Want to get away from the MD taxes and I’d like to have a hangar right next to the house. Would prefer a grass strip rather than paved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy, just depends on the weather you want. thats the catch.
Ah, yes... the old location, location, location point! Me - I like the snow (most of the time)

A8A15508-83A7-44EC-B9A1-22A0C9225341.jpeg

Attachments

• A8A15508-83A7-44EC-B9A1-22A0C9225341.jpeg
    A8A15508-83A7-44EC-B9A1-22A0C9225341.jpeg
    194.2 KB · Views: 161
Back