• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New guy, new pa-12 build

JBH

Figured this would be as good a spot as any to start and introduce myself. My name is Jake and I am starting a new experimental build off of a pa12 project I recently acquired.
I grew up flying cubs and other assorted tail draggers. I’ve recently been flying my father’s experimental pa-18 enough that I decided I needed to build something of my own.
I recently purchased a pa-12 project that was taken down to recover years ago and has been sitting since. Bare fuselage, bare control surfaces, etc. I have a set of stock wings, and also recently bought another set of pa14 wings with extended flaps. I have a dynafocal mount and a o360 waiting to go in it. I already ordered the cabane v, fittings and extended gear from atlee dodge this week.
My plans going forward include:
Pstol flaps
Catto prop
29”-31” abw
Non electric (considering just a battery powered starter)
Anything I can do to save weight

I am very blessed to have a lot of stuff at my disposal in the way of tools, welding equipment and expertise, and a&p family and friends.

I’m trying to make it as minimalist as possible, while not making it uncomfortable. My intent with the plane is pretty simple, a well performing joy rider to play around on short strips with. I’m in Georgia, so the fun spots are limited, but we have a few. Maybe throw the kid and wife in the back and fly and camp at some spots we have.

I’ve been lurking and reading here a lot for a few months and figured I would join and post so I can bounce some more specific questions off you guys who have a lot of experience with this stuff. Thanks for the time and any advice is welcomed!

Cool project. Pstol flaps would be a great mod on a -12. Reinforce your pulleys. Think about TK-1 or Acme shocks. Game changers.

Definitely gonna beef up the pulleys.

Planning on one of the shock options on the mains. My dads 18 has the tk1s and I’m a huge fan.

I’m always curious when I hear folks going experimental from certified parts. I would like to do it as well, but am too chicken. The uncertainty of getting an airworthiness certificate spooks me. There doesn’t seem to be a definitive path, mostly anecdotal evidence one way or the other. So, my question is: do you have some foreknowledge, a known friendly DAR, or are you going to cross that bridge when you get to it?

A little smattering of all 3. I filled out an amateur built fab and assembly checklist according to what I plan to do in a VERY conservative manner and came up with ~65% am built, spoke to a few local guys who have done similar, and have a meeting coming up to discuss with a local DAR who worked with the previously mentioned guys. I'm hoping it should be pretty straight forward.

Back