• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Changing floats on a Maule

algonquin

Seldovia,Ak
Just wondering if one of you float guys would give me a guess of how long it would take to change Wip 3000’s amph.’s and put landing gear on. The Maule is a M-7-260. Also how many people would you recommend to have on hand. Thanks Tom

If you have proper lifting setup and experienced people, a half day. Assumining you’re leaving hydraulics installed in plane. If not, at least a full day, maybe more.

MTV

Thanks Mike, I’ll leave the Hyd’s in place. Not too experienced so I’ll just plan a full day. I do have a great lift, the state put it in and used it for float changes on their UH-1’s.

….Also how many people would you recommend to have on hand. Thanks Tom

Boy you're leaving yourself wide open on that one.
I suggest two people to do the work.....
and a crew of at least half a dozen people rotating in and out of the hangar
to eat all the donuts / drink all the beer, and (most importantly) offer helpful advice.
(hint- it's best if no one in the rotating crew has ever done any float removal or installation).

Thanks Mike, I’ll leave the Hyd’s in place. Not too experienced so I’ll just plan a full day. I do have a great lift, the state put it in and used it for float changes on their UH-1’s.

Shouldn't be a problem. Just figure out in advance where you want to cap the hydraulics, etc, and get the right fittings on hand, and other supplies...brake fluid, etc.

It isn't high science. Be sure you lift it with a spreader bar to avoid collapsing the top deck. If the plane doesn't have lifting eyes, remove the wing root fairings, and lift (via a spreader bar) at the front spars.

Lock the wheels down on the floats, so you can push them around on the wheels. Easier to move and store.

MTV

Back