• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Airports with turf and fuel

With the exceptions of Quincy (designated grass landing area) and Dunnellon (as noted above), they are all Public Use and have maintained/designated grass runways, except DeFuniak Springs which has a nice dirt runway. Google “Florida Airport Guide” and download the free 2020 PDF that has lengths, fuel availability, diagrams, etc. The guide will also show a number of other great grass strips that don’t have fuel.

Daryl
are you sure on Everglades City? I have been in there twice and landed on the grass, and promptly caught a earful if shi#$& from a guy flying a sightseeing 206. Don’t know how he relates to the management of the airport, but I got a bit tired of that. Might do it again for pure entertainment ����
jim

Daryl
are you sure on Everglades City? I have been in there twice and landed on the grass, and promptly caught a earful if shi#$& from a guy flying a sightseeing 206. Don’t know how he relates to the management of the airport, but I got a bit tired of that. Might do it again for pure entertainment ����
jim

Everglades City is a unique runway in that it is listed as Asphalt/Turf in both the Florida State Airports Guide and the A/FD. In the A/FD listing, it states that the runway “has a 50’ asph ctr with a 5’ turf edge on each side.” I land the east side, between the approach of 15 and the middle exit. That gives you about 1,250’. The turf is more than 5’ wide along there. I haven’t been there since July ‘19, so I suggest a check of the surface before landing.

Ask the guy in the 206 to show you the reg that requires you to land on the centerline of the runway (or that you have to land on a runway). I try to play well with others, but I might toss a bit of sarcasm that guy’s way if he spouted off on the radio.

Ok folks, I had some time to kill so I pulled the FAA facility data down and massaged it a bit. Here are all the "non-paved" runways that say they have fuel. Be sure to confirm before trusting!

http://bit.ly/Grassfuel

sj

SJ, someone would need to go through that list and verify something more than the FAA's info.

For example, the first two that I don't show as being included in the overlay map are 5AL1, McGowin Field; and AL79, Bartlett Ranch. McGowin Field looks slightly more commercialized than Bartlett Ranch, but on first glance I would be suspect of either of them having fuel on hand for sale, even though the FAA database shows 100LL.

4AL2 listings states 2250 x 100 turf. But 4AL2 is a hospital heliport.

It would not be a big deal to add any missing airports from that list into the overlay, although I'd be very wary of Alaska and some of these more private looking airports.

pb

Last edited:
ID 82 Picabo, Idaho.

Mogas only, straight out of the pumps. You taxi to the end, NW end, open the gate, then taxi another 100' or so, shut down and then push the last few feet. It is a fully operational and very active normal gas station, with owners that have a decades long tradition of providing mogas to pilots, all they ask is you don't taxi right up with the motor still running, seems fair enough. Self serve, E-0 premium.

KCHT Chillicothe, Missouri - fuel available only when FBO is open though.
KMHL Marshall, Missouri

SJ, someone would need to go through that list and verify something more than the FAA's info.

For example, the first two that I don't show as being included in the overlay map are 5AL1, McGowin Field; and AL79, Bartlett Ranch. McGowin Field looks slightly more commercialized than Bartlett Ranch, but on first glance I would be suspect of either of them having fuel on hand for sale, even though the FAA database shows 100LL.

4AL2 listings states 2250 x 100 turf. But 4AL2 is a hospital heliport.

It would not be a big deal to add any missing airports from that list into the overlay, although I'd be very wary of Alaska and some of these more private looking airports.

pb

Pete, from my post: "Be sure to confirm before trusting!"

It's just a starting point, further researching in foreflight, airnav, or the airfield guide is prudent.

sj

That's really cool, but - - On the chart it's marked "restricted, private", so in actual practice is it public use?

Yes, I've been going in there 35+ years.

Another good place close to the Frank is Mackay, no gas on field but a gas station that sells E-0 mogas, basic groceries, a deli, and a state liqueur store all within a 3 minute, at most, walk. The trick there is to land long, to the north, there is room to well clear the runway, the usual parking ramp adds quite a bit of walking and I'd rather fly.

Just saw this. Foreflight overlay for gas with grass
Screenshot_20200217-175750.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200217-175750.jpeg
    Screenshot_20200217-175750.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 309
I am in NC and working on a list of airports that are either public grass strips with fuel or regular airports with a turf runway. Goal is to travel as far as I can without landing on asphalt. Example is from our home base to SNF or OSH or wherever for that matter. Just a fun project to see what is out there and how far I can go.

Some examples that I have found but have not been to yet...

KSMS in SC
1DS in SC
GA2 in GA
6A1 in GA
KFZG in GA
X21 in FL
M54 in TN
KBRY in KY
KMWO in OH
40I in OH

I have more and will edit this later. Anybody care to add to the list??

hey Dave, we have a grass strip at S20 06 06 E023 21 00, far enough for you? 8)
bet this beats any other strip listed so far by quite a bit ;-)
its PPR so let us know when you are arriving, we have AVGAS and MOGAS available - also cold beer

its PPR so let us know when you are arriving, we have AVGAS and MOGAS available - also cold beer

Winner.... lol.....

6600NM - 7700 miles - (in a straight line) - you might need a few stops on the way to refuel

foreflight is really easy to import waypoints into, it can read KML, GPX, KMZ and I think even .fpl, only problem is if the points are close to one another then you loose some points under others....

Hahahhha.

Okay, once again I’ll throw this out there.

SJ.... in one of my hidden posts above is a link to that file. Along with info about it

Grass_with_Gas.

It’s been discussed and shared on SuperCub.org before.

The image you posted is from my Instagram feed.

The google drive the file is hard to find the “open in” link, so it’s really easier for anyone that wants it to send me their email address and I can send them the file.

Pb
Peter.brown (at) 500AGL.com

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Ps. Post 28 discussed it in this thread, but I’ve shared it before.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Grass fields and Fuel.

2D58EF5D-139D-45CA-92AF-6493CE6A8B4A.jpg2D58EF5D-139D-45CA-92AF-6493CE6A8B4A.jpg
I am in NC and working on a list of airports that are either public grass strips with fuel or regular airports with a turf runway. Goal is to travel as far as I can without landing on asphalt. Example is from our home base to SNF or OSH or wherever for that matter. Just a fun project to see what is out there and how far I can go.

Some examples that I have found but have not been to yet...

KSMS in SC
1DS in SC
GA2 in GA
6A1 in GA
KFZG in GA
X21 in FL
M54 in TN
KBRY in KY
KMWO in OH
40I in OH

I have more and will edit this later. Anybody care to add to the list??

Attachments

• 2D58EF5D-139D-45CA-92AF-6493CE6A8B4A.jpg
    2D58EF5D-139D-45CA-92AF-6493CE6A8B4A.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 77
Great link Steve. For our trip from Florida to Montana last summer we decided only to land on grass regardless of whether there was a grass strip or not. It was a lot of fun. At low use uncontrolled airports sometimes it was the first 300 feet of a paved strip many times is was the side of the runway between lights and culverts . Sometimes we even received suggestions from airport personnel clueing us in on unofficial local practices. Shopping the landing zone just as you would in any off airport landing minimized the risk. If an area chosen to land was regularly mowed chances are it was good to land. Dragging was often done.

Last edited:
Back