• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Vintage Oil Temgerature Gauge?

I have a 1946 PA12. We just took an old, mechanical oil pressure gauge off of it because the probe has broken from the cable. The gauge is a 2 1/4 inch round U.S. Gauge Part AW1820AG01 apparently manufactured in the 40's. The casing for the gauge appears solid, not easy (possible?) to attach a new chord. Any suggestions? Vintage parts suppliers? My preference would be to replace it with another same part if I could find it. Google search yields nill.

Is your original gauge a dual pressure/temp gauge, or just pressure? If you order a new gauge, make sure the threads will work on the sensor tubing. Search this forum for info on that problem.

I ordered a new gauge and decided I didn't want to use it when I saw it was made in China. Don't know if the threads worked or not. I then sent the original gauge off to John Wolf and Co. It was expensive, but it was overhauled including new pressure sensor tube and temp cable, and the face repainted as original with the correct temp/pressure markings. It also got rid of that aggravating wiggle in the oil pressure needle.

Jim

http://antiqueinstrument.com
Jim, Sounds like You had a lot of work done on yours. I had him repair the Bouncing needle when it went to a permanent hundred pound Oil pressure. That was a pretty reasonable bill. He does great work really knows what he is doing. He will do anything from a full-on restoration to just a repair. He was timely also
If you can't tell I'm a big fan.

They’re both approximated real-time by the LED bars on the left and right. The specific number is selectable, but you’ve got current green/yellow/red indications at all times.

EI webpage sez this is a approved as primary gauge.
I'm surprised, I'd think it would have to display both pressure & temp readings at the same time.
That was my takeaway from reading up on EI's info re which primary gauges the CGR30 can replace.

It’s what I had in my 180 as a primary gauge. They’re relatively cheap.

They’re both approximated real-time by the LED bars on the left and right. The specific number is selectable, but you’ve got current green/yellow/red indications at all times.

I didn't pick up on the arc of little led's on either side.
Thanks for the tutorial.
That's a pretty slick way to do it.

I had an EI digital cht/egt in my first airplane.
Hard to read as the number display constantly flickered up & down by a few degrees.

Can any of you posters tell me what the pressure fitting thread is on this gauge please? I’ve measured it at 7/16” but don’t know how many threads per inch!!?

I’ve also found a repair shop here in UK that can repair/refill the temp capillary circuit for less than $150 + shipping

Cheers

Philly

Back