• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Advice wanted about exploring Nunavut and the N.W.T. in a PA12

Paul Heinrich

PARTNER
Illinois & Wisconsin
I’m looking for advice on the wisdom of exploring Nunavut and the N.W.T.s this Summer in the experimental PA12 we just finished building. A good place to start is: Can I fly an American registered experimental aircraft in Canada? Do I need a full medical, pilot and airplane logs, Passport, special avionics, etc., etc. Can I land and camp out anywhere I feel like it?

My 17 year old daughter is going on a 45 day wilderness exposition through a Y.M.C.A. sponsored program around Baker Lake in Nunavut between June 20 and August 14. Naturally I thought if my plane doesn’t sell by then I could take it up for some exploration and excitement on my own.

Does anyone here have firsthand experience GA flying in the wilderness that far North? I have aviation sectionals for the areas I’m likely to visit, but there’s lots of local knowledge I should learn before and as I plan my way.

At this point I don’t even know if it would be better to be on floats, wheels, or wheelskis. Also, are any of you interested in coming along?

Tales of your experiences and lessons learned will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul Heinrich

My advice is go for it!! The only hard part might be coming back to the US. We have a member in that area that will likely add great info. I would love to be in the party but summer is filling fast. Keep us posted on events. As of now I think you do need a 3rd class medical.
DENNY

Yes you need a passport. I just flew Montana to Alaska in October. The hard part is eAPIS and associated paper work. But not really hard just a little frustrating. In my limited experience Canada is very aviation friendly. Get international for your cell phone. ATT&T notified me by text.... easy, but you have to respond or it’s a 3 way phone call headache. Call your credit card company and let them know that you will be using swipe gas and go readers as well as chip readers. The chip thing was the only real hickup and my wife got it solved quickly. I borrowed an inreach and am sold on that gizmo.... peace of mind for my bride. Notify Canada prior to entry and USA prior to entry and thats it. Don’t need to notify departing from either country. Have fun and allow for weather. I was on tight schedule and it made for some long days and interesting moments. Check insurance requirements although nobody looked at any of my paperwork in Canada. Entered on a Sunday and the whole entry was handled by phone. US wanted to see pilots license and aircraft info. Pretty easy but it was zero and we were standing outside. Have fun!

Flight plan where you think you might land. Then call those out of the way places as finding 100LL may be an issue in remote locations!

The entire northern section of Canada is very remote. Make certain that you are able to carry more fuel than you think you need for each flight. It is possible for unexpected head winds to suck up most of your fuel supply. It then becomes very uncomfortable when you know that even though you may be able to land safely, there will not be a gas station nearby. It is no fun squirming on your rear end with the fuel gauges on E for an extended period of time. Been there done that and I had extra tanks!

I would recommend that your PA-12 be equipped with floats if you're planning on flying around mainland Nunavut in the summer. Though Ingo (Corvus Migrans) was able to land in many spots with big bushwheels, I would personally leave that kind of flying to people with his level of expertise. There's lots of water in Nunavut and great fishing. And yes, you can camp almost anywhere. Three quarters of Nunavut is "Crown Land", a quarter is Inuit-Owned Land (restricted camping, but who's to know).

Of course, being on floats will make getting fuel a bit more of a bother.

And as to fuel - yes, this can be a big problem. I'm guessing that at least half of communities have no 100LL at all. A mogas STC is the way to go; all communities have Mogas that starts its life as 91-octane but degrades somewhat with storage over the previous winter. The Co-Op stores are retailers of fuel in Nunavut. When you call to enquire about availability make sure they are familiar with the term "avGAS" so you don't end up with Jet A in your tanks. Bring cash in case the Co-Op resists your credit card (most do, for fuel purchases at least).

Unless you are heading north of about 70N (ADIZ), you can simply file a Flight Notification with a "responsible person". Then you can open, close or amend your Flight Note by InReach. A Flight PLAN can only be closed or filed by 'phone.

Allow plenty of time - weather reporting stations are widely scattered and conditions can be very different from the forecast in between those stations.

Bring good survival gear and plenty of bug dope. A shotgun for bear protection would be a good idea (no handguns!). Groceries are available in every community. Hotels too if you're tired of camping or in need of a shower, though rooms are in short supply during the summer months.

We can fly experimental in the US and vice-versa, but I believe there is some minor paperwork to fill out. Sport pilots and those with self-declared medical are out of luck.

Cell 'phones only work within about ten miles of communities up here. And not all providers will have access to the network either. If you think you'll need voice comms, a sat 'phone (Iridium) is the answer. Probably wise to have one anyway as a back up to the essential InReach.

If you park your airplane at an airport in Nunavut or camp within walking distance of a community don't leave anything valuable inside your 'plane or tent. We have a good supply of light-fingered youngsters up here.

PM me if you need something more specific.

Larry
Kugluktuk, NU

Last edited:
Bugdope, (spray can so you can spray your clothing (and hat) to keep them away

extra fuel

Octane boost in case all you can get is low grade fuel

Filter funnel to be sure you get clean fuel in your tanks

Great camping gear and some books so sitting still is no big deal and you stay warm and dry while waiting, and waiting, and waiting

Larry maybe you can elaborate re: bugs. I've read there's more than mosquitoes to deal with in Canada. If so what's the best repellant?

Gary

Mosquitoes on the tundra (most of Nunavut), both mosquitoes and blackflies in the few areas where there are trees. Mossies can be fierce and are relentless. Blackflies are likely to appear toward the end of summer and can survive early frosts. Mosquitoes are more fragile but will get you by sheer force of numbers.
Anything with DEET will work fine. Duct tape wrists and pant cuffs to keep the blackflies out. Take a headnet and/or one of those bug jackets. As pointed out earlier, spray is more useful than liquid. Spray also makes a great fire starter!

Alaska is relatively free of black flies in my experience. Besides more than a few mosquitoes there's some small gnats or no-see-ums in the Fall but your flies remain loyal to the Queen.

Gary

Paul,

I have done Minneapolis to the Arctic circle north of Baker Lake in a PA-12 but I was on straight floats and with a Super cub. It was 39 hours of flying in 9 days. Trip of a life time like others have said I wouldn’t do it on wheels especially if it is just you. PM me if you want more details of my trip.

Joe

Nunavut has reported it's first case of COVID-19 just the other day. It's in the eastern arctic, not in the west where I live, but it WILL get here one of these days.

Severe travel restrictions are in place for Nunavut. Fourteen days of isolation before you're allowed in. I imagine those restrictions will last for several more months so it might be best to put off any travel plans to Nunavut for this year.

Nunavut has reported it's first case of COVID-19 just the other day. It's in the eastern arctic, not in the west where I live, but it WILL get here one of these days.
Larry, I find this interesting in that this may be an opportunity to trace Covid-19's method of travel from one location to another. Since Nunavut is basically extremely sparsely populated when compared to the rest of North America with great distances between communities and travel being rather limited, are there any indications of where or how this person came to be in contact with the illness? Had this individual been traveling? Had there been outsiders visiting the affected person's community?

Yeah, cross-continent and intercontinental travel in a ragwing this summer is unrealistic given the varied coronavirus restrictions. Maybe next year.

Larry, I find this interesting in that this may be an opportunity to trace Covid-19's method of travel from one location to another. Since Nunavut is basically extremely sparsely populated when compared to the rest of North America with great distances between communities and travel being rather limited, are there any indications of where or how this person came to be in contact with the illness? Had this individual been traveling? Had there been outsiders visiting the affected person's community?

They have sent to Pond Inlet what they're calling a "Rapid Response Team" to try to figure all that out, identify contacts, etc. They probably won't identify the patient or his contacts, or even if he was a traveller, due to ridiculous privacy laws. He/she almost certainly travelled from points south and was supposed to self-isolate for 14-days. But did he? The honour system doesn't work very well in cases like this, and it's only recently that security guards were hired to keep people in their hotel rooms. Travel restrictions are stringent, but there's always a few people who don't think the rules apply to them.

This is further interesting in that Pond Inlet is on the north side of Baffin Island. Not many tourists there during this time of year. Or did he/she just return from spending the winter in south Florida? ;-)

Talking to an outfitter in Quebec and the talk from what they hear from the Federation is noting is going to move north of the 55 parallel.

Doug

This is further interesting in that Pond Inlet is on the north side of Baffin Island. Not many tourists there during this time of year. Or did he/she just return from spending the winter in south Florida? ;-)

Pure speculation on my part, but …. About 95 school teachers from Nunavut decided to take their March break in the south. Then the travel restrictions came into effect and the school year was terminated. But the government didn't want to pay the teachers unless they returned back to "work", even though the schools were closed. Some came back, some didn't. One could have brought the virus in, even though they were supposed to self-isolate for 14-days.

All the smaller communities on Baffin Island have to connect through Iqaluit. So he/she could have picked it up there, possibly from an asymptomatic carrier.

I read a book about a guy who did something like this... sounds awesome. The book is True North by George Erickson.

Well, look here in Supercub.org for "The wandering raven" and you'll find everithing you need for your voyage. I traveld the North of Canada 2008. 100LL is somtimes a hassel. So always ask for the Notams. But the Minister for Fuel in Nunavut decided: High octane avgas NO alkohol in it after they had some serious problems with low grade alcoholcontaining fuel . It worked nice in my O-360. But filter it. It is mostly dirty and has water in it. But not a big hassle.
But be extremely carefull. Canada is a huge land. If you make a tiny miscalculation you are stranded. Extremely expensive.:oops:

I learned flying in Alaska THE country of bushflying. Without my Alaskan experience I would have had some serious problems. If you understand German look in YouTube : Corvus Migrans. There is a video named "Flying the Arctic" . But sorry only in German language. Well, bon voyage. It might be the trip of your life.

Back