• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

180/185/182 Tailcone Repair explained by Bushwheel Bill

Great stuff, Steve, thanks for posting!
I'd heard about that fix, but didn't properly understand what it consisted of.
Bill does a good job explaining.

I have a hard time watching when reading is so much faster.

I assume this is to fix looseness? You guys helped me immensely when I had to tackle one of these. Back then one could buy oversize AN bolts from Genuine, so we reamed all holes for oversize and wound up with a perfect tight tailcone. Even re-bushed the tailwheel stinger.

Hardest thing was getting the control surfaces on and off. Most surprising thing was how few sheet metal screws hold the dorsal fin in place.

Knowledge from this forum has saved us thousands of dollars. I must get off my dead ass and write SJ a check.

I have a hard time watching when reading is so much faster.

I assume this is to fix looseness? You guys helped me immensely when I had to tackle one of these. Back then one could buy oversize AN bolts from Genuine, so we reamed all holes for oversize and wound up with a perfect tight tailcone. Even re-bushed the tailwheel stinger.

Hardest thing was getting the control surfaces on and off. Most surprising thing was how few sheet metal screws hold the dorsal fin in place.

Knowledge from this forum has saved us thousands of dollars. I must get off my dead ass and write SJ a check.

It’s to fix the cracked structure at the rear horizontal attach point that’s common on straight tail Cessna. The stringer extends forward with a bunch of rivets and is $5000 from Cessna. Service bulletin says to inspect every 500 hrs and bills kit is every 1000 hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s to fix the cracked structure at the rear horizontal attach point that’s common on straight tail Cessna. The stringer extends forward with a bunch of rivets and is $5000 from Cessna. Service bulletin says to inspect every 500 hrs and bills kit is every 1000 hrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m pretty sure he said 1500 hours, not 1000.

and another thing to note, is this kit fixes BOTH SIDES...

but the price for ONE Cessna hockey stick is to fix only ONE side plus labor....

seems like a great deal to me....

have replaced MANY, but they(hockey stick?) were cheap parts back then...

Back then one could buy oversize AN bolts from Genuine
Bob got any more info on that? I was wanting some oversize AN or MS bolts recently, but didn't find a source.

I must get off my dead ass and write SJ a check.
Easier than that - credit card works just fine - -. Never miss a chance to give Bob a rash. Unless I'm busy with Perry, that is.

That’s an excellent product! What’s the cost?

Watched the end of the video it’s $3,000. Pretty cheap compared to new hockey sticks!

Last edited:
omg, can you talk any slower?

Pilots are slow to learn... :)

You can use the youtube settings feature at the bottom of any youtube video to double the speed of the video if you like. Easily solvable.

sj

Pilots are slow to learn... :)

You can use the youtube settings feature at the bottom of any youtube video to double the speed of the video if you like. Easily solvable.

sj
Cool feature! Just used it for the first time. 1.5X seems to be perfect for Bill. Thanks for pointing that feature out.

I have nothing but admiration and appreciation for the Bills and McFarlanes of the world that keep these airplanes flying!
Steve - are you the same Steve Pierce that has some tailwheel videos on youtube?

Is SEL 55-01 mandatory for Part 91? I did it on my 69 180 with 12,000 hrs and found no cracks.
No AD (yet), so not mandatory for 91 guys. However, definitely need to do on the 180/182/185s due possibility of occurrence. I did the inspection with aid of a boroscope 18 mos ago or so and wasn't difficult.

No AD (yet), so not mandatory for 91 guys. However, definitely need to do on the 180/182/185s due possibility of occurrence. I did the inspection with aid of a boroscope 18 mos ago or so and wasn't difficult.
Were you able to access well enough to see without the ass-end dissection described in the Bulletin?

Just out of curiosity - what is the difference between Bill's kit and what Joe Dory is selling? Perhaps they are the same and Joe is a distributor. I don't know.

never noticed that setting before.... learn something new each day!

I've used it for years - especially great for tutorials where things are moving slowly (or english as a second language). 2X is about my max, 1.75 my standard :p

Research says that while people can get the info at 3X, they comprehension usually goes way down...

sj

Just out of curiosity - what is the difference between Bill's kit and what Joe Dory is selling? Perhaps they are the same and Joe is a distributor. I don't know.

I had the same question too then I realized they use the same phone number. So I deduced they are working together on this project.

Since this is now an AD and no longer just an SB does the QMI kit still take the inspection from 5 years or 500 hours to 10 years or 1500 hours?

Back