• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ADSB-Getting ready to bite someone in the butt

Is it a fact that you can underfly Charley airspace but not over C?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last weekend on the Florida east coast I had a traffic target show up with no N number, all it said was CUB

not sure what that meant but had no N number on the ADSB in

jim

Last edited:
Last weekend on the Florida east coast I had a traffic target show up with no end number, all it said was CUB

jim

Yours shows up with your N number but there are planes that show as "blocked" some showing with no information, as in just blank spaces and some stating the make or type but nothing else.

Seems to me it is going to add lots of traffic just outside the Class C north of Anchorage.

Why? Anch doesn't have the 30 mile thing. Lake Hood still has the same airspace designation that allows no transponders. What will change? Crossing the parallels from the south or going out on a Little Su would require AdS-B by definition but I wonder if tower will grant permission without? Time will tell. But I don't base there anymore so no matter to me. I'd like to use my ADS-B in busy Wasilla area airspace but mostly won't because of the internet tracking exposure.

I can change the Flight ID on my GTX335. ATC still sees my info.
Last weekend on the Florida east coast I had a traffic target show up with no end number, all it said was CUB

jim

Jim, Let me help you with this, When you get the amphibs I'll trade planes with you so non electric you won't need all the fancy stuff anymore. I'll just keep the plane up here and I never do anything to get into trouble anyway.

Yours shows up with your N number but there are planes that show as "blocked" some showing with no information, as in just blank spaces and some stating the make or type but nothing else.

As Eddie stated you can set the “name” that is sent out for others to see. Depending on who setup the unit it could be correct, wrong, or simply Steve Eaton’s.
Blocked ones are on the FAA anonymous list, so public sites are not seeing the aircraft data, simply a target. ATC still sees all data.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

SOME public sites. See Windy's earlier post! 978 anonymous used to work. Not any more.

Last edited:
I see a much larger issue here. The day will come that ADS-B will be required in all US airspace ( keep your J-3's, etc.)
ADS-B is not a safety issue. It is a control issue. This puts in place the application of automated enforcement actions and
automated user fees. Just sayin'.......

I know several AK guys who participated in the Capstone Project who would disagree with you, but the FAA has always stated that ADS-B is a tool to improve air traffic control, traffic separation, and subsequently air safety. In an environment where other planes are transmitting it the safety factor is hard to deny. The problem is that too many airplanes aren't using it so the potential is compromised. Great technology. Piss poor execution.

Safety.....sure, especially in high density areas.....but the FAA can accomplish this without tracking aircraft ownership, eh?
The solution to the compromised potential is to require ADS-B in ALL airspace which leads to my previous comments about enforcement and user fees.

This encroaches on individual privacy when it is not necessary to accomplish any ATC safety. This may have started out by the FAA saying it was for traffic safely but somewhere along the line it evolved to more than is required for those goals.

Like taxes? It's government. What did you expect? Just because they screwed it up doesn't make the technology bad.

... Also "below" Class Bravo is still "required" space, even if it were outside the Mode-C veil (unlikely, but theoretically possible).

I disagree. Read FAR 91.225(d).

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.225[/FONT]

(d) After January 1, 2020, and unless otherwise authorized by ATC, no person may operate an aircraft in the following airspace unless the aircraft has equipment installed that meets the requirements in paragraph (b) of this section:(1) Class B and Class C airspace areas;(2) Except as provided for in paragraph (e) of this section, within 30 nautical miles of an airport listed in appendix D, section 1 to this part from the surface upward to 10,000 feet MSL;(3) Above the ceiling and within the lateral boundaries of a Class B or Class C airspace area designated for an airport upward to 10,000 feet MSL;(4) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, Class E airspace within the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia at and above 10,000 feet MSL, excluding the airspace at and below 2,500 feet above the surface; and(5) Class E airspace at and above 3,000 feet MSL over the Gulf of Mexico from the coastline of the United States out to 12 nautical miles.

I'm 100% for the technology SB......but I consider this an extreme overreach. Clip a Class C airspace or fly less than 500 feet over a farmstead? Bingo, a fine or suspension arrives in the mail. I want to fly from one farm in SD to another farm in ND? Let's see Dave, you flew 200 miles in OUR airspace so we're sending you
a user fee bill for 25 bucks. It is government, it is what I would expect.....doesn't mean I have to like it. Google "How to catch a wild pig"

Yep, they need to change the FAR to allow us to turn it off when not in rule airspace. Which, by the way includes all of Alaska. I have 1090ES in my Cub and would like to use it occasionally. I refuse to use it all the time.

It is not just the Government we need to be concerned about. I will use no names or numbers here, but a lady flew from Long Island NY back home to Mass, her route took her near Bridgeport Ct. which she flew near to but not over. She did speak to the tower there as she flew past, nothing more.
Less than two weeks later she received a bill for landing or departure there. It was easy to beat but it happened.

You guys need to write your senators. They need to revise 14 CFR 91.225 part f. Requiring ADS-B Out while in rule airspace is fine but to require it on at all times is not. AOPA should be making noise, too.

EAA seems to be more active at the senate level and I expect has a greater interest due to the higher count of aircraft outside rule airspace.

Douten
i may have to come live with you and Donna for awhile as it is. I might have changed props last week, I told her it was for “safety”. Pat needs the cub in Lincoln April 1 for the floats so stay tuned. I’m a sick man😆😆
But I sure have been smiling all winter

jim

And Jim, It looks like you find no need to fly above 300' along the coast there at lest by this mornings flights.

Charlie I wonder why it only showed 250 feet. I put a new Whirlwind
prop on it last week it was trying it out for a max climb when I left to go get fuel at Venice. I was close to 1000 feet about 25 seconds , I didn’t reset the altimeter setting when I left but did when I got the Venice Atis. So if I got prosecuted for low level cruise, this info is bogus. My fault for not putting proper altimeter setting in? Hmmmm

jim

The ADSB altitude would be from GPS. Not all of each flight is shown especially when you cross to the east coast. Might be that it takes a bit to acquire you on climb out.
Same when you flew down to Fla, there were gaps in the displayed route.
I will take a look at the tracks later and see if anything stands out.

I don't completely buy into ADSB being a big safety improvement and don't understand the need. Aren't there less general aviation aircraft in the skies then 20 or 30 years ago? I thought general aviation was in a decline. Also I can picture ADSB equipped pilots sitting there watching the screen and not looking outside! Not visually scanning for traffic!

BP

Sent from my VS988 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The ADSB altitude would be from GPS. Not all of each flight is shown especially when you cross to the east coast. Might be that it takes a bit to acquire you on climb out.
Same when you flew down to Fla, there were gaps in the displayed route.
I will take a look at the tracks later and see if anything stands out.

I thought ADS-B altitude was required to come from the same source as your xpndr altitude encoder? And that isn't affected by altimeter setting.

I thought ADS-B altitude was required to come from the same source as your xpndr altitude encoder? And that isn't affected by altimeter setting.

Correct. An encoder is required, whether stand alone or built in. The WAAS enabled GPS provides a precision location signal.

Web

SB is correct........contact your representatives. Suggested change: (f) Each person operating an aircraft equipped with ADS-B Out must operate this equipment in the transmit mode at all times while in rule airspace unless -

How long would most Americans put up with having their identity, and registered owner of their car, being published for anyone to see who they are and where they are? The Mommy Brigade would go bezerk for starters, and rightly so... All sorts of personal tracking, confusion, casting aspersions, mistaken tracks, divorce suits (right or wrong) and no birthday surprises. What a mess.

For my money it should be a great tool, but badly misused, poorly regulated, and now nobody's looking out the window, even though its may not be working, and traffic may not be equipped..

Bah, humbug! One more nail in the coffin.

When the came up with a Mode S, I could see user fees coming. For something like data transmission, the size of the data block in part determines the amount of data transfer in the system. For a Mode S, the data block contains you aircraft Id not once, but twice! The only possible reason would be so they can send a bill! Now with ADSB, not only the mode S guys get to broadcast their ID, but now everyone.

As far as improving traffic, what value is the aircraft ID. All you need is current location and altitude (3D location) and your vector. That is all that is needed for traffic, no need to know who, just that someone is “there” and heading toward me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back