• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ADSB-Getting ready to bite someone in the butt

Scouter

SPONSOR
Exeter Maine
I guess I knew this was going to happen , but it still surprised me. At the strip in FL, one of the locals who has a ticket but hasn’t flown in20 years gave me a printout of all the places I hVe flown in the past month. Must change to small dots when below 1000 ft or so.
Just what we needed are several websites that show the world what your up to. It’s really valuable flying down here there is so much traffic, but I will be shutting it off more and more
“wasn’t me that landed on that state park beach officer”

jim

2F782C53-C7D9-423D-866B-AD1EFE0E376F.png

Attachments

• 2F782C53-C7D9-423D-866B-AD1EFE0E376F.png
    2F782C53-C7D9-423D-866B-AD1EFE0E376F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 652
It may not matter to you, but it isn’t legal to turn it off if you have it installed. The closest you can do is a UAT in anonymous mode. No telling how or whether they’ll enforce it or what the penalty might be, but that’s the law.

Something like 5yrs and or $10000.

Jim, when they put you in that orange jumpsuit I'll volunteer to exercise your equipment. I was going to say the ones with big tires but I better say only the one with bushwheels

Glenn

Something like 5yrs and or $10000.

FAA infractions are Administrative, not criminal. They can fine you and take certificate action, but unless there is a criminal statute, no jail time.

I have no idea what the fine might be. Might be worth comparing the fine for operating in rule airspace without ADSB to turning ADSB off outside rule airspace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAA infractions are Administrative, not criminal. They can fine you and take certificate action, but unless there is a criminal statute, no jail time.
Not for anything other than conversation and a little twisting of Jim's nuts but heaven forbid there were an accident and during the investigation it was determined ADSB had been disabled I suspect criminal action might be on the table.

It doesn't have to make sense, unfortunately. It's there in 14 CFR 91.225. There are exceptions listed.

Yes, it’s there, and the FAA has stated clearly that they WILL enforce “intentional” violations of this rule. They’ve also apparently stated that the likely penalty will be suspension or revocation.

And, remember, if you’re within the coverage area, not just the rule airspace, if you turn off ADS-B, there WILL be a record of it. Whether they pursue it or not.......that’s the question, but the tool is there to ruin your day.

And “anonymous mode” hides your information from the public, but not from the FAA.

MTV

File the FAA blocking form. When you discover the government can't protect your privacy on the internet take action to protect it yourself. Turning it off is the only way to do it.

This regulation needs to be changed.

I'm sure I get an earful for this. But it won't be the first time.

Fly out of controlled airspace with your ADS-B. Land and shut down. Give it a few and start up with no ADS-B. Repeat in reverse when returning. Shutting off ADS-B in flight or inside controlled airspace will produce a record of the event. An aircraft operating OUTSIDE of that airspace, without ADS-B, will not raise any curiousity. For now, at least.

Web

You're scaring me although ot biting here yet. Only solace is experimental built to get into very small lakes where the old wild trout are. Those who did similarly, tight lines! Knowing my fishing holes won't he an advantage without aircraft built for a particular mission. Salvalinnis fontinalis is mine.

Just pulled up my "ADS-B Performance Monitor Public ADS-B Performance Report" from yesterdays flights. It shows approx 36 minutes of flight of an actual 90+. The first 36 was at an altitude of 1000' the rest in between several landings at no greater than 400'. I suspect if there were more ground stations in my area it might be more revealing of my flight. In the mean time Jim pull up a report and see what is actual. I'm sure Florida will be different than Maine. You might just need to leave those indiscretions at home.

Whether you file to not have your ADSB records published on FlightAware (which I have) or whether you have your ADSB set to anonymous, or both, the public can still see your track and location on the app “OpenADSB.” I tracked myself home from Idaho last summer using OpenADSB on my iPhone while my ADSB was in the anonymous mode. Try it for yourself.

Whether you file to not have your ADSB records published on FlightAware (which I have) or whether you have your ADSB set to anonymous, or both, the public can still see your track and location on the app “OpenADSB.” I tracked myself home from Idaho last summer using OpenADSB on my iPhone while my ADSB was in the anonymous mode. Try it for yourself.
I think this is true of ADSBExchange.com as well, although I haven't tested it.

I don’t plan on installing ADSB in any of my planes at this time. If Canada makes it a blanket thing not just in rule airspace I will install it only on the plane I intend on flying there but that’s it.
If your planning on turning it off do as WW said, also turn off your transponder as that could easily give proof of a violation. Next fall (Aug) I plan on flying my Husky down to NY from AK no ADSB, LOL I’ll write from Leavenworth ,please send care packages

If you takeoff with it off and leave it off for the entire flight, how will they know. Skin paint? I forgot!!

Interesting topic. We are considering flying from NB through Northern Maine all the way to SNF. One aircraft has just mode C and the other, a Cub, has ADS-B In and Out. Our research, so far, looks like we can make the flight right to Lakeland FL from Northern Maine without ADS-B. We’d fly Interstate route 81 generally, at least part of it. Can anyone comment on the viability of doing this? We’d be staying away from big centers irregardless, but would still be landing at airports with FBO’s and fuel. Thanks in advance!

Jim, when they put you in that orange jumpsuit I'll volunteer to exercise your equipment. I was going to say the ones with big tires but I better say only the one with bushwheels

Glenn

Glen
thanks to SuperMark, we are down to one plane and the wife is back to smiling at me again. I might need your help in telling her about the amphibs. Come to think of it you can come down and tell her while I head to Dallas for a few days����

jim

Just pulled up my "ADS-B Performance Monitor Public ADS-B Performance Report" from yesterdays flights. It shows approx 36 minutes of flight of an actual 90+. The first 36 was at an altitude of 1000' the rest in between several landings at no greater than 400'. I suspect if there were more ground stations in my area it might be more revealing of my flight. In the mean time Jim pull up a report and see what is actual. I'm sure Florida will be different than Maine. You might just need to leave those indiscretions at home.

ii think we are not far from the day the local deputy get# a complaint cabou5 noise and then lt turns into s
a witch hunt
jim

The trip from Seldovia to the states last spring was made in my non electric cub. Obviously no ADSB. During the planning I found transponders are required to cross into the US. There is a transponder waiver that can be obtained on line which permits crossing into the US without a transponder..

i found that no transponder is required in Canada north of the 54th latitude. It was not clear to me what was required when south of 54 latitude. I spoke directly wit CAA and was told that South of 54 latitude transponders are required in rule airspace only. I have heard only that Canada has delayed implementation.

The trip from Seldovia to the states last spring was made in my non electric cub. Obviously no ADSB. During the planning I found transponders are required to cross into the US. There is a transponder waiver that can be obtained on line which permits crossing into the US without a transponder..

i found that no transponder is required in Canada north of the 54th latitude. It was not clear to me what was required when south of 54 latitude. I spoke directly wit CAA and was told that South of 54 latitude transponders are required in rule airspace only. I have heard only that Canada has delayed implementation.
There isn’t a requirement for ADS-B in Canada. Not yet anyway. You need mode C in some places like big centers. The bulk of our VFR flying in the lower levels does not require a transponder. We wouldn’t have the fraction the air traffic here verses the lower 48.

Specifically why I'm not installing.....not much rule airspace out here. But this prompts a question: FAR says that ADS-B must be on if the aircraft is equipped. What does it take to uninstall (or unequip) your ADS_B once installed? Can you remove your tail or wingtip ADS-B and do a logbook entry? Then, when needed, reinstall and do a logbook entry?
That would work for me :anon

Specifically why I'm not installing.....not much rule airspace out here. But this prompts a question: FAR says that ADS-B must be on if the aircraft is equipped. What does it take to uninstall (or unequip) your ADS_B once installed? Can you remove your tail or wingtip ADS-B and do a logbook entry? Then, when needed, reinstall and do a logbook entry?
That would work for me :anon

Back in the charter days,if some avionics was determined to not be working correctly, but was not required for the flight,we pulled the circuit breaker, put a tie wrap on it, and a inop sticker on the avionics. As long as it was not required for a flight it could stay inop until the next required aircraft inspection.

My old beater non-electric cub is looking better all the time.

From what I have been told , once the ADS-B has been installed and certified to a Tail # , that tail # is required to have ADS-B for ever.

Would need to see that in a regulation. It is true that once a generator is installed and recorded on the engine, that aircraft will always and forever need ADS-B in rule airspace. That does not make the ADS-B required in "elsewhere" airspace.

[/QUOTE]My old beater non-electric cub is looking better all the time.[/QUOTE]

Is that the same one carrying an axe that weighed more than any avionics you'd want to install ???

Back