Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Wrench to remove Continental C-90 Induction Elbows

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    COLLEGE STATION, TX
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wrench to remove Continental C-90 Induction Elbows

    The 7/16 nut is nearly impossible to tighten on the inside of the induction elbows. Anyone have any hints for what wrench to use? Do you think a 1/4" drive universal joint, extension and socket will work? 3/8 wobble socket does not even come close.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kindred ND
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes

  3. #3
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    9,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CaseyO View Post
    Yes
    Can you say? Snap on

    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes algonquin, aktango58, Hardtailjohn liked this post

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Kindred ND
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Snap-on or Craftsman, as long as the socket isn't too thick any 1/4" drive universal will work.

  5. #5
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Snap on 1/4 swivel socket has always worked. Have a set of craftsman sockets that I ground down too


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Steve Pierce, skipster, algonquin liked this post

  6. #6
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    What Tom said.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are Snap-Ons thinner wall than others? My induction tube bolts are no easy reach, either.

  8. #8
    wireweinie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    2,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Snap on 1/4 swivel socket has always worked. Have a set of craftsman sockets that I ground down too


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spot on. A separate socket and universal joint never works for me. Suck it up and get a top quality (read 'thinner') 1/4" drive, socket with the universal joint built into it. It has a shorter distance from the rim of the socket to the swivel, which allows your extension to clear the pipe.

    The thinnest walls I've seen are going to be on Snap-On or Matco.

    Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,832
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to find a set of the thin wall Snap On with the long extension like my buddys but the said they quit making them. Anyone have a good source?
    DENNY

  10. #10

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    574
    Post Thanks / Like
    Grind a deep socket so it is a really thin wall. Iíve got a couple that Iíve made up over the years.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks DENNY thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY liked this post

  11. #11
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    9,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    I tried to find a set of the thin wall Snap On with the long extension like my buddys but the said they quit making them. Anyone have a good source?
    DENNY
    Ebay

    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Thanks DENNY thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY liked this post

  12. #12
    algonquin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seldovia,Ak
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like
    Denny, look on eBay , if that doesn’t work out the craftsman swivel should work. I like a long ext. to get below everything.
    Thanks DENNY thanked for this post
    Likes DENNY liked this post

  13. #13
    S2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,098
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mac, snap-on and craftsman.
    Mac is more compact but thicker sidewall.

    Mac on the left , Craftsman on the right.
    Ebay is the best place to acquire.




    Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

  14. #14
    hotrod180's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    Posts
    2,868
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a set of super-cheapie 1/4" drive sockets that are really thin-walled & fit into tight places.
    They're sure not quality built, but for very occasional use they're OK.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    nd
    Posts
    3,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    and sometimes you just have to cheat and work a open end wrench.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just found a Snap-On 6 point socket with integral U joint. 3/8" drive. Doesn't look all that thin-walled. I have been using Thorsen six point 1/4 drive with a speedometer flex cable for years. I'll give it a try. Sometimes it seems like it would be easier to remove an elbow for the muffler AD.

  17. #17
    Gordon Misch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Toledo, Wa (KTDO)
    Posts
    3,468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Turn down the O.D. Easy with a carbide cutter - I've done a few, for the same reasons.
    Gordon

    N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6,915
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me too. I just found this one in some tools my buddy left me - a complete set. I think the 3/8" drive kills it.

    There are places on those elbows where an open end wrench is easier.
    Likes Gordon Misch, 62E, Hardtailjohn liked this post

  19. #19
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only thing I use 3/8" drive on is the prop bolts, those 1/2" engine mount bolts and spark plugs. I have a couple of 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2" sockets I have turned down to get into those tight spots. I rate my 1/4 drive Snap On swivel sockets up there with my Snap On angle wrenches.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  20. #20
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,900
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wrench to remove Continental C-90 Induction Elbows

    I got a snap on 1/4Ē drive kit for free years back, came with something I bought. Itís my most used tool. Itís super portable too. Itís great.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-144...EAAOSwf6hePfDv


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    9,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, I own 3 of those sets Tom showed and 2 SAE only ones. 3/8 one only comes out once in awhile. Proto is the only other brand that comes close.

    Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

  22. #22
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    9,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen that set that Tom posted go for under $250 so days on eBay
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

  23. #23
    hotrod180's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    Posts
    2,868
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    ….I rate my 1/4 drive Snap On swivel sockets up there with my Snap On angle wrenches.
    The only snap-on tool I own is one of their weird angled 1/2" open end wrenches.
    They're about the only thing that works on the magneto hold-down nuts on my C180.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

  24. #24
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,900
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    I've seen that set that Tom posted go for under $250 so days on eBay
    It's pretty handy to grab quick when something breaks down around the house. Now a days everything newer is metric. I have a couple bigger 1/4 ratchets that i use as well

  25. #25
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Yup, I own 3 of those sets Tom showed and 2 SAE only ones. 3/8 one only comes out once in awhile. Proto is the only other brand that comes close.

    Glenn
    S&K makes a nice set as well.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Down low in the hills of Vermont USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    My main travel and shop ratchets and sockets are SK supplemented with MAC sockets, this is my 1/4 travel kit with MAC swivels. Serve my needs fine and all my first SK tools I bought while in high school in the early 70s are still in use today.
    None of my MAC or Snap-on ratchets are still in use.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0022.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	46975

  27. #27
    RVBottomly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Asotin County Washington (KLWS)
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    Serve my needs fine and all my first SK tools I bought while in high school in the early 70s are still in use today.
    I got my SK combo wrenches when I was in high school too. 1973. Local Cenex had a revolving special, one size on sale each week. I was very proud of my complete set, and I still have them as my primary tools. Just wiped one down this evening after changing oil.

    A few years ago I managed to find an almost complete set of Snap-On 1/4 drive swivel sockets at a local pawn shop. They've turned out handy for obscure problems. But even pawn shop Snap-Ons go for a pretty penny.
    Likes CharlieN liked this post

  28. #28

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Utah/Alaska
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Can you say? Snap on

    Glenn
    no, I used proto or USA made Craftsman, half the price of snapon and just as good!
    https://www.amazon.com/Proto-9Piece-.../dp/B001VXX1T2

  29. #29
    cubdriver2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    upstate NY
    Posts
    9,972
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    no, I used proto or USA made Craftsman, half the price of snapon and just as good!
    https://www.amazon.com/Proto-9Piece-.../dp/B001VXX1T2
    Craftsman tools were great, by the time I was 15 I owned almost every hand tool they made. I still use them. When I started working as a professional wrench back in the mid 70 I discovered that a lot of time the Craftsman just didn't fit where I needed to go or it added time to the job. The guys I worked with go tired of me borrowing certain Snap on tools from their box. Where Snap on really makes a difference is with their small tool sets just doing a better job. An example, I have a very small Phillips screwdriver that I use when repairing certain alum storm windows, alum corners and SS bevelhead machine screw that most times has not been touched in 50 years. Nothing else but a Snap on will break it loose. I tried everything and they break the tip off first try. Even the Shop on will break after doing 10 or 12 windows. I have 2 of those Phillips drivers and both would be over 30 years old but the handles have been changed a few time because the blades have been replaced over 100 times and wear the handles out. I never was a big Snap on buyer, just bought what I needed. I don't even own a Snap on box. I haven't bought a new Snap on tools in 20 years but the dealer still stops to do my repairs. eBay is a great place to buy whatever tools your looking for. I still buy old Craftsman, Snap on........on ebay
    As long as what your using is getting the job done then life is good

    Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 02-15-2020 at 09:05 AM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes 40m, Steve Pierce liked this post

  30. #30
    hotrod180's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    Posts
    2,868
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it's true of all brands, but IMHO craftsman tools aren't what they were 30 years ago.
    I've bought a few things in the past few years (1/4 drive set, yet another 3/8 set),
    and they just didn't measure up.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes N86250 liked this post

  31. #31
    RVBottomly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Asotin County Washington (KLWS)
    Posts
    640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    Maybe it's true of all brands, but IMHO craftsman tools aren't what they were 30 years ago.
    I've bought a few things in the past few years (1/4 drive set, yet another 3/8 set),
    and they just didn't measure up.
    Quite true. Craftsman never made their own tools. 30+ years ago they were made by old-line companies like Easco. Good quality. In the 2000s Apex tool group started making them. That's when we started seeing Craftsman combo wrenches sourced from China.

    One of my hobbies is to keep an eye out for new old-stock Craftsman tools. They are getting rare.

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Down low in the hills of Vermont USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    During that time when Crapsman tool production was moved overseas they were marketing with adds showing their tools in use in aviation, just that all the pictures were taken in Chinese maintenance facilities.

  33. #33
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    19,109
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Craftsman tools were great, by the time I was 15 I owned almost every hand tool they made. I still use them. When I started working as a professional wrench back in the mid 70 I discovered that a lot of time the Craftsman just didn't fit where I needed to go or it added time to the job. The guys I worked with go tired of me borrowing certain Snap on tools from their box. Where Snap on really makes a difference is with their small tool sets just doing a better job. An example, I have a very small Phillips screwdriver that I use when repairing certain alum storm windows, alum corners and SS bevelhead machine screw that most times has not been touched in 50 years. Nothing else but a Snap on will break it loose. I tried everything and they break the tip off first try. Even the Shop on will break after doing 10 or 12 windows. I have 2 of those Phillips drivers and both would be over 30 years old but the handles have been changed a few time because the blades have been replaced over 100 times and wear the handles out. I never was a big Snap on buyer, just bought what I needed. I don't even own a Snap on box. I haven't bought a new Snap on tools in 20 years but the dealer still stops to do my repairs. eBay is a great place to buy whatever tools your looking for. I still buy old Craftsman, Snap on........on ebay
    As long as what your using is getting the job done then life is good

    Glenn
    I agree Glenn, I have a lot of Craftsman tools from my youth but Craftsman doesn't make the tools to get things in tight places. My kids will sell my angle wrenches, 1/4 drive sockets and favorite screw drivers when I go west. Tools are kinda personal. Had to give SJ and Laura a hard time this last week while they were helping do the annual inspection on 4CC for not putting my tools back in their correct spot.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    4,963
    Post Thanks / Like
    #3 on my engine is no bargain. Especially if the baffle is in place.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	202.7 KB 
ID:	47087


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  35. #35

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    13
    Post Thanks / Like
    After you get them off use jet nuts

Similar Threads

  1. New Wrench
    By Eddie Foy in forum Lighter than Air - Flying Humor
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2018, 02:12 PM
  2. Silicone Induction Connector Hose C-90
    By Grant in forum Super Cub Sick Bay
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-17-2015, 02:53 PM
  3. Cold air induction
    By diggler in forum Modifications
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 09:42 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •