• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wrench to remove Continental C-90 Induction Elbows

sdischer

ATP, CFII, A&P
COLLEGE STATION, TX
The 7/16 nut is nearly impossible to tighten on the inside of the induction elbows. Anyone have any hints for what wrench to use? Do you think a 1/4" drive universal joint, extension and socket will work? 3/8 wobble socket does not even come close.

Snap-on or Craftsman, as long as the socket isn't too thick any 1/4" drive universal will work.

Snap on 1/4 swivel socket has always worked. Have a set of craftsman sockets that I ground down too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snap on 1/4 swivel socket has always worked. Have a set of craftsman sockets that I ground down too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on. A separate socket and universal joint never works for me. Suck it up and get a top quality (read 'thinner') 1/4" drive, socket with the universal joint built into it. It has a shorter distance from the rim of the socket to the swivel, which allows your extension to clear the pipe.

The thinnest walls I've seen are going to be on Snap-On or Matco.

Web

I tried to find a set of the thin wall Snap On with the long extension like my buddys but the said they quit making them. Anyone have a good source?
DENNY

Grind a deep socket so it is a really thin wall. I’ve got a couple that I’ve made up over the years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Denny, look on eBay , if that doesn’t work out the craftsman swivel should work. I like a long ext. to get below everything.

Mac, snap-on and craftsman.
Mac is more compact but thicker sidewall.

Mac on the left , Craftsman on the right.
Ebay is the best place to acquire.

2226a1f6e797ccdd074d804775597491.jpg

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I've got a set of super-cheapie 1/4" drive sockets that are really thin-walled & fit into tight places.
They're sure not quality built, but for very occasional use they're OK.

I just found a Snap-On 6 point socket with integral U joint. 3/8" drive. Doesn't look all that thin-walled. I have been using Thorsen six point 1/4 drive with a speedometer flex cable for years. I'll give it a try. Sometimes it seems like it would be easier to remove an elbow for the muffler AD.

Me too. I just found this one in some tools my buddy left me - a complete set. I think the 3/8" drive kills it.

There are places on those elbows where an open end wrench is easier.

Only thing I use 3/8" drive on is the prop bolts, those 1/2" engine mount bolts and spark plugs. I have a couple of 3/8", 7/16" and 1/2" sockets I have turned down to get into those tight spots. I rate my 1/4 drive Snap On swivel sockets up there with my Snap On angle wrenches.

Yup, I own 3 of those sets Tom showed and 2 SAE only ones. 3/8 one only comes out once in awhile. Proto is the only other brand that comes close.

Glenn

….I rate my 1/4 drive Snap On swivel sockets up there with my Snap On angle wrenches.

The only snap-on tool I own is one of their weird angled 1/2" open end wrenches.
They're about the only thing that works on the magneto hold-down nuts on my C180.

My main travel and shop ratchets and sockets are SK supplemented with MAC sockets, this is my 1/4 travel kit with MAC swivels. Serve my needs fine and all my first SK tools I bought while in high school in the early 70s are still in use today.
None of my MAC or Snap-on ratchets are still in use.
IMG_0022.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 149
Serve my needs fine and all my first SK tools I bought while in high school in the early 70s are still in use today.

I got my SK combo wrenches when I was in high school too. 1973. Local Cenex had a revolving special, one size on sale each week. I was very proud of my complete set, and I still have them as my primary tools. Just wiped one down this evening after changing oil.

A few years ago I managed to find an almost complete set of Snap-On 1/4 drive swivel sockets at a local pawn shop. They've turned out handy for obscure problems. But even pawn shop Snap-Ons go for a pretty penny.

no, I used proto or USA made Craftsman, half the price of snapon and just as good!
https://www.amazon.com/Proto-9Piece-Universal-Socket-J47107/dp/B001VXX1T2

Craftsman tools were great, by the time I was 15 I owned almost every hand tool they made. I still use them. When I started working as a professional wrench back in the mid 70 I discovered that a lot of time the Craftsman just didn't fit where I needed to go or it added time to the job. The guys I worked with go tired of me borrowing certain Snap on tools from their box. Where Snap on really makes a difference is with their small tool sets just doing a better job. An example, I have a very small Phillips screwdriver that I use when repairing certain alum storm windows, alum corners and SS bevelhead machine screw that most times has not been touched in 50 years. Nothing else but a Snap on will break it loose. I tried everything and they break the tip off first try. Even the Shop on will break after doing 10 or 12 windows. I have 2 of those Phillips drivers and both would be over 30 years old but the handles have been changed a few time because the blades have been replaced over 100 times and wear the handles out. I never was a big Snap on buyer, just bought what I needed. I don't even own a Snap on box. I haven't bought a new Snap on tools in 20 years but the dealer still stops to do my repairs. eBay is a great place to buy whatever tools your looking for. I still buy old Craftsman, Snap on........on ebay
As long as what your using is getting the job done then life is good

Glenn

Last edited:
Maybe it's true of all brands, but IMHO craftsman tools aren't what they were 30 years ago.
I've bought a few things in the past few years (1/4 drive set, yet another 3/8 set),
and they just didn't measure up.

Back