• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Odd use of VG's

Marty57

PATRON
Nipomo, Ca
This made me laugh ........ Yesterday I spotted this 4-Door Nissan (I think) on my way home. Yes folks, those are VG's on the roof! With the spoiler on the trunk and the fake hood scoop up front that baby must have a really slow stall speed. Sure made me laugh :lol::lol::lol:
IMG_0095 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0095 (1).jpg
    IMG_0095 (1).jpg
    205 KB · Views: 455
Might help to keep road grime off the back window?

Wait a minute, is that an Oklahoma car from Jenks?

FWIW, in the early 2000s Mitsubishi homologated VGs in World Rally to keep airflow attached down the rear window and under the wing. Went into the production market on the Evo VIII which led into the fad that gets seen now.
Do they have any use on a road car, I don't think so. I question if they had any effect on the Evo we raced for 12 years. We ran up front but the VGs were not part of it.

Funny thing is, that's a front wheel drive.
Yes, that being a street car and the VGs are just for looks, but there are times some of us use all 4 tires when cornering where aerodynamics matter.
IMG_0918.jpg IMG_5943.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_5943.jpg
    IMG_5943.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 379
Yeah, I just enjoy laughing at all the goofy crap kids (mine included) put on their cars. My youngest -just turned 20- put a double airfoil spoiler on his Hyundai, along with a gauge pod on the hood. Then he painted the whole thing satin black, except for the spoiler which is of course ORANGE. Last Sat. afternoon he was here and the car was parked on the street in front of the house. Some older drunk woman (.20) came roaring down the street and plowed into the side of it, total loss. I never thought I could be happy for such a thing... Don't mis-understand, I'm not making light of intoxicated driving. I thank God nobody was hurt, including the drunk driver. But I do not mourn the loss of that car.

Was that in low light conditions when his nearly invisible car got hit or was she attracted to the orange wing. Sad to see but will be curious as to what he does next.
Just don't turn him onto VGs.

There appears to be a market for wings and VG style tabs for the back of trailers and motorhomes. Airflow is airflow even at 60 mph you can improve mpg on a F350 with a simple lowered front dam and and ramped bed cover. I have not got around to doing the mods yet but I really lust after the old tac on the hood mod!!
DENNY

I put spare Micro vg's on the top rear roof of a Toyota Yaris, they definitely helped stability at speed. Sawed off hatchbacks are less aero then a sedan of the same make and model, and can suffer from being too short and stubby. Rear window stayed cleaner also. Sold it when I got a Prius, ( talk about low drag, it's amazing how far it coasts in neutral) turned out the buyer was a medical transport fixed wing pilot, I think the vg's clinched the deal, he concurred they also looked cool!

Hey if it will keep the the back window of my Outback clean, I’m all in.

Last edited:
Back