• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Vans baffle set on ND 320

adamgrenda

King Salmon, AK
My baffles are getting tired in my cub and a few cracks that are stop drilled. Looking to replace them. I've heard good things about airforms mat su valley Ak $1300. I've also thought about making some (very limited sheet metal experience). Looks like some guys are going with the vans baffle set.... $290 for the set. They are for a wide deck so I would need to add some material to the inside of the front baffles. They are also set up for a dynofocal mount which I don't have. Does anyone have experience using these?? I have port and polish, flow matched, 10:1, atlee hot rod exhaust and 84/37 catto. 50 degree day cruise at 2400rpm ill be close to 360-380 CHT. Thanks

From past posts the vans need the #3 rear baffle set back off the cylinder other than that pretty good response overall.
DENNY

From past posts the vans need the #3 rear baffle set back off the cylinder other than that pretty good response overall.
DENNY

There’s a good thread on the vans forum about this - I’ll find it and link here in a minute.

EDIT: found it.

This picture is of the back of the number 3 baffle:

IMG_1233.jpg

source: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=786133&postcount=24

We got a field approval many years ago for installing the O-320 in my Dad's Clipper. Pretty close to the Super Cub baffles. It is a narrow deck and I did not have any issues. It took quite a bit of work but if you make templates it is easier to trim them to fit prior to trimming the aluminum. A small shear is a very useful tool for this. I have a small Harbor Freight unit that worked great. The rubber baffle material Van's sells does not last and is not flexible enough in my opinion. We swapped it out for the cowl saver material when it started getting stiff. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/baffelseal3108.php?clickkey=13418

and you could notice that HOW? on a real cub?? differential compression tester wouldn't notice, and that's what is used.....????
I figured that melted cylinders, accessories, whiplash from the acceleration and first place stol trophies indicated 10:1s:p

I figured that melted cylinders, accessories, whiplash from the acceleration and first place stol trophies indicated 10:1s:p
It is pretty obvious when you are banging around Idaho with your buddies and that one guy can climb out of Johnson Creek and not have to go through the notch but goes over the highest peak. Sure it's stock. 8)
IMG_20200207_073751.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200207_073751.jpg
    IMG_20200207_073751.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 163
Back