• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Skylight/X-Brace

CaseyO

Kindred ND
Has anyone seen this style of skylight? If so, what approvals if any are there? I have the Crosswinds and Atlee skylight STC but neither look like this.

Once I get my ducks in a row I'll start a thread for this project.

Thanks!
2d412a1a3873f494be534916f8005087.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like classic X brace with standoffs. Very common for older cubs to have custom tabs/gingerbread. Back in the day welding was a logbook entry only for many if even mentioned Standoffs and gingerbread seldom needed a pen to work. Check the logs and see if it was even noted. It can be an issue with the wrong IA. Looks like you are a bit down the road kind of late to change.

DENNY

It looks like the work is more recent, I'll dig through the logs again.

If anyone has received any info from Dakota Airframes recently I would appreciate a contact.

Thanks!

Looks like someone reinvented the skylight support by replacing the 2 channels that cross from left to right.

The X brace looks fairly normal. The stand offs are different but they look fine. The short cross bar is where to attach tbe shoulder harness. Is it a Dakota Airframe? They're long gone. Univair bought them years ago. If it is a Dakota you may not need any approval. Their airframe was PMA'd.

Last edited:
It is a Piper airframe but it was worked on at Dakota many years ago and hasn't been assembled since.

I wondered. Dakota put the trim overhead. We added the channels for my skylight in the old -12. My new Cub uses stand offs from the tubes.

Looks like a great time to go experimental!

IMG_0837.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0837.JPG
    IMG_0837.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 148
I would like to build up an E-AB PA-12 but since I'm hoping to have my IA soon I was planning on keeping this one certified.

Back