• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

pa 18 stabiliser and elevator relationship.

ron

Wanaka,NZ
Hi All PA 18 owners.With the stabiliser set in the full nose up position whilst static, what is the relative position of your elevator.Mine is very slightly nose down elevator, not completely parallel ,Thanks. Ron.

you need to clarify your terms in your questions....

nose up/down referring to the plane traveling?, or the elevator/stabilizer themselves?.....???

opposite positions.....

Hi All PA 18 owners.With the stabiliser set in the full nose up position whilst static, what is the relative position of your elevator.Mine is very slightly nose down elevator, not completely parallel ,Thanks. Ron.

Depends how much you bungee spring is stretched

Glenn

Nose up on stab referring to the aircraft trim indicator,or if you like the leading edge of the stab fully down .
you need to clarify your terms in your questions....

nose up/down referring to the plane traveling?, or the elevator/stabilizer themselves?.....???

opposite positions.....

On mine, (18 tail on a 12) the elevator stays on plane with the stab throughout the range.

On mine, (18 tail on a 12) the elevator stays on plane with the stab throughout the range.
Thanks PerryB.I understand when trimmed in flight this is the objective.When not flying I cannot figure out where the elevator stab relationship should be.As Glen indicated it depends on the bungee tension.BUT what is the ideal.My aircraft is very heavy on the elevator at approach speeds with full nose up stab.I was wondering if this has something to do with this problem.

What loaded CG are you making this observation? If the plane is loaded towards the forward CG limit, this would be expected.

Do you have the bungee spring on the top and bottom? The bottom spring was used on older Super Cubs and was later eliminated. If it is installed it would make the elevator heavy on approach. Cub Crafters 2300 gross weight increase requires the bottom bungee spring.

Hi Steve,have removed the bottom one.
Do you have the bungee spring on the top and bottom? The bottom spring was used on older Super Cubs and was later eliminated. If it is installed it would make the elevator heavy on approach. Cub Crafters 2300 gross weight increase requires the bottom bungee spring.

What loaded CG are you making this observation? If the plane is loaded towards the forward CG limit, this would be expected.

Hi Pete,think we have discussed aspects before.With even two pilots and half fuel one is still having to apply nose up elevator with full nose up stab on finals (40 mph)

Ron, Is your trim installed like this?
PA-12TAILTRIM016.jpg

Or like this?

PA-12TAILTRIM004.jpg

The second one is correct.

thanks Pete,had already checked that one.It certainly seems like it could have been the problem.For those that don’t know this is a real “Murphy”
possibility!

Ron if all parts are installed correctly sounds like you have checked that then you put stabilizer in neutral position (that’s when aircraft is level stabilizer is level) the upper bungie spring and cable is at proper length so that elevators are level also then check if you have proper stabilizer travel up and down this is “control surface movement” (2 1/2 degrees up +\- 1/2) (4 degrees down +\- 1/2)

Hey Ron. Ill have a look at mine tomorrow and let you know. Regards, Binty

Ron if all parts are installed correctly sounds like you have checked that then you put stabilizer in neutral position (that’s when aircraft is level stabilizer is level) the upper bungie spring and cable is at proper length so that elevators are level also then check if you have proper stabilizer travel up and down this is “control surface movement” (2 1/2 degrees up +\- 1/2) (4 degrees down +\- 1/2)
Thanks supercub24a,all checked as per your post. Maybe just put a bag of sand in the boot!

Do you know why this is steve? Is it hard to install the bottom spring?

Back