• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Borer prop benefits pros/cons

The problem with a wood prop. Can I legally re torque it as required with the weather/temperature changes, or do. Have to get a mechanic?

I have the 82-44 and like it but would really like to put the Catto on. About 14lbs lighter and a nickel leading edge. My borer leading edge takes a beating. I’ve talked with Catto several times and they keep saying they’re getting it certified but I’m thinking it’s not going to happen.

Unfortunately the Catto prop that has proven itself behond any testing the FAA could ever dream up; most likely will never get certified while Craig owns it.
The Catto will be certified, within 24 hrs; as soon as Craig Catto, sells it to Macaulay or Sensenich. "They" will never allow it to be certified; That approval has been held back for years, because of their pull: They still have over that market.
Darn shame it has to be that way.
There are now thousands of Catto props out there; that have more than proven themselves to be certified airworthy for decades. That really is NOT up
for debate at this point. It's purely political
BS.

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Last edited:
LOL! Yeah I guess I could compromise and put a McCatto on. I’m just not ready to go feral quite yet!

...There are now thousands of Catto props out there; that have more than proven themselves to be certified airworthy for decades. That really is NOT up
for debate at this point. It's purely political
BS.
Catto has built lots of props for a lot of happy customers without any FAA oversight and involvement. He apparently is very busy operating in the manner which he has been. Why should he let the FAA's nose under his tent? I don't blame him for building experimental only props. A comfortable low key living is more important than a big government regulated business. While every one wants to earn a lot more $$$, at some point more doesn't necessarily mean a more comfortable life.

Eastern PA. What is typical ROC for a strait SC?
I’m really just trying to learn. I like the greatest ROC as I can reasonably achieve.

Round profiles are the Most draggy shape of all. Big bush wheels KILL R.O.C ! My lightweight stock 150 with 850 tires used to go up at 1200-1500fpm until I put on 29” ABWs. Now I’m at 500-700fpm. I’m now looking at a 160Hp and a Borer to regain some of my lost perf. But I still love em!

I wish I’d been more academic and quantified it with a bunch of test flights. There must be hard data out there for ABW and prop performance?

Catto has built lots of props for a lot of happy customers without any FAA oversight and involvement. He apparently is very busy operating in the manner which he has been. Why should he let the FAA's nose under his tent? I don't blame him for building experimental only props. A comfortable low key living is more important than a big government regulated business. While every one wants to earn a lot more $$$, at some point more doesn't necessarily mean a more comfortable life.
I understand that point and wouldn't disagree.

I just would like an honest/direct answer because in person across a picnic table at the 2013 New Holstein Pig Roast, Craig told me they were working on it and it was two, maybe three years away.

The good news in now there are several certified alternates really in the works.

I understand that point and wouldn't disagree.

I just would like an honest/direct answer because in person across a picnic table at the 2013 New Holstein Pig Roast, Craig told me they were working on it and it was two, maybe three years away.

The good news in now there are several certified alternates really in the works.
Perhaps since 2013 he changed his mind? In my reading of the certification requirements, it certainly doesn't appear to be very difficult to accomplish. Particularly for a wood core prop. Maybe he had a chat with his insurance agent?

Perhaps since 2013 he changed his mind? In my reading of the certification requirements, it certainly doesn't appear to be very difficult to accomplish. Particularly for a wood core prop. Maybe he had a chat with his insurance agent?
I should have noted that since then I and others have called and stopped in their booth at OSH but I gave up 3 years ago.

I spoke with them recently. They put it on hold to do a big project for Boeing and one for NASA I believe. I can guarantee those paid better and created more of a fun challenge than certifying a prop with the FAA.

Getting anything accomplished with the FAA is difficult-- just ask Boeing re 737 Max.
Try doing something simple like just getting a replacement airworthiness certificate sometime from a less-than-helpful FSDO rep,
maybe it'll give you a different perspective.
Somebody I know watched Bushwheel Bill's video about the QMI hockey-stick-repair kit,
"wow, three thousand bucks seems like a lot".
Considering the horror stories I've heard from people trying to get an STC or any other kind of FAA multiple-airplane approval,
or even just a one-time field approval, $3K sounds very reasonable.

Last edited:
Getting anything accomplished with the FAA is difficult-- just ask Boeing re 737 Max.
Try doing something simple like just getting a replacement airworthiness certificate sometime from a less-than-helpful FSDO rep,
maybe it'll give you a different perspective.
Somebody I know watched Bushwheel Bill's video about the QMI hockey-stick-repair kit,
"wow, two thousand bucks seems like a lot".
Considering the horror stories I've heard from people trying to get an STC or any other kind of FAA multiple-airplane approval,
or even just a one-time field approval, $2K sounds very reasonable.

I haven't done one but i'd imagine it would be labor intensive to replace the stringer. 2 guys needed to rivet, then touch up paint work on the fuselage, vs bills it seems like a one man job

Has anyone purchased a Borer in the last year or so? If so, can you verify the paint pattern of a factory new one? 2x 2" stripes? Or the fat stripe with the 1/2" below it. Mccauley doesn't seem concerned with my queries.

About a year old IMG_0276.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 351
Anyone running a 84/43 Borer ?? on a 150?? Whats it like? Is this too much. Whats involved in cutting down to 82.

An old rough rule of thumb: adding one inch of pitch is equivalent to subtracting one inch of diameter and vice versa. So, cutting an 84/43 to 82 without changing the pitch should give roughly the same performance as an 82/45. Sounds like an intermediate to cruise prop to me.

For an example I've used an 80/46 with good performance results. Using the above rule of thumb with your 84/43 cutting to an 80 would give you an 80/47 equivalent.

Cutting is basically a hacksaw, file smooth and balance.

That's going to be too much prop for a 150. For a standard/stock 150 hp O-320 an 82/42 is about all it wants to swing.

I run an 82x 43 on a 160hp, runs good likely only loose a few RPM in climb and won't over-rev as quick ( one learns to pull it back as you're leveling off). I've heard rumor they can be cut down below 82 in a pinch, call a prop shop for 84" cut down options.

What else ya need?

Is there an 84” McCauley that bolts on a -320?
The 1A175GM which is the "Borer" prop, is approved by the Type Certificate P-857 on the 0-320 series up to 160 hp at a diameter of 78"-82".

Why would you want more than 82"? That does a good job.

i run a 82/41 on my 150 hp 18. Its static is 2425 and climbs at 2550
It will exceed reline (2700) flat out at 3000 msl
Seems perfect for my wants. Pitch is prop shop verified

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The 1A175GM which is the "Borer" prop, is approved by the Type Certificate P-857 on the 0-320 series up to 160 hp at a diameter of 78"-82".

Why would you want more than 82"? That does a good job.
Pete,
I think you misinterpreted my question. I’ve never heard of an 84” Borer and was making sure it was a typo and not something I’ve missed. I’ve heard guys talk about Pawnee props on cubs but not an 84” Borer.

That said, I’ll take an 84” Catto over an 82” if my mission is stump pulling. This is an apples to oranges argument when comparing Cattos to McCauleys so I won’t waste much time. If there was an 84” Borer you can bet I’d try it if it didn’t cost as much as gold and weigh more!

I’ve heard guys talk about Pawnee props on cubs but not an 84” Borer.
Kevin, I've heard this talk too. They may use what they wish, I tend to look at the type certificate and found some diameter vibration limitations with that prop which suggest it is not a good idea. Perhaps it is just a matter of what official testing was done?

Hey guys,

I need an education on borer props and the benefits on a Pa-18-150. Is there a big ROC increase? What are measurable performance benefits?
I know nothing about them. I’m also curious as to the prop clearance issues as i understand owners will add gear leg extensions or larger tires for prop clearance. And is it all worth it for a grass strip flyer!
Thank you I appreciate it!

Looks to me like it was worth it. Ought to be able do all those mods for less than $15k too.

Hello Steve, new to SC.org, but we've spoke on the phone before, you were very helpful, thank you. Lots of good info here as well, I know this thread is a little old, moved TX to AK this past year, stock 150hp 18, hope to get on floats this coming spring, may bump to 160hp soon, but don't want to make it a must, was considering 82/42, may be on the steep side, but do-able for now, and may shine after the 160 bump, not sure if my train of thought is right? Your Thoughts, I'm as novice as they come :) thank's C
PS, anyone, replied to Mr. Steve as I saw his previous post with 82/41 and this one (3 above) with 82/43, but really haven't seen any "float specific" info, forgive me if I've missed it..

Last edited:
Back