• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Vernier mixture control

sdischer

ATP, CFII, A&P
COLLEGE STATION, TX
Can the crappy push pull mixture control be replaced with a vernier control?

IMG_7861.JPG
Sure.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Attachments

• IMG_7861.JPG
    IMG_7861.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 361
I never saw the need for a Vernier mixture control on a carbureted airplane. Especially one a simple as a Cub engine. Are you guys rolling it lean of peak?

My 180 & my last airplane had Vernier mixtures, the one before had the click type.
I liked the click just fine, but since the 180 also has a Vernier prop control the Vernier mixture seems more natural.
In a fixed-pitch-prop airplane, I would probably rather have the click.

I never saw the need for a Vernier mixture control on a carbureted airplane. Especially one a simple as a Cub engine. Are you guys rolling it lean of peak?

No but I do have CHT & EGT instrument. Old cable would vibrate and move over time.

What is on your fancy new cub?

For what it's worth, I have a vernier cable on my throttle, oil flow valve to oil cooler,, and mixture control. Easy make small adjustments with no movements.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Here’s an Aircraft Spruce mixture... far more accurate for leaning. Also, not as succeptable for breaking like the wire ones. 98F11A21-EBE6-4CD7-9846-E0916045897D.jpeg8C0976EF-F279-4FF0-83B5-3C5ED3E6AB2D.jpeg

Attachments

• 98F11A21-EBE6-4CD7-9846-E0916045897D.jpeg
    98F11A21-EBE6-4CD7-9846-E0916045897D.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 8C0976EF-F279-4FF0-83B5-3C5ED3E6AB2D.jpeg
    8C0976EF-F279-4FF0-83B5-3C5ED3E6AB2D.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 226
...pull mixture cable to full lean position, go in engine compartment and kink mixture cable. Now it will bind in working position ….

I installed a Teflon-lined carb heat cable in my last airplane.
Really smooth operating-- so smooth in fact that it would apply itself on takeoff.
I disconnected it from the airbox, pulled it into the cabin until the wire was showing,
and put a little kink in it. Worked great after that.

For what it's worth, I have a vernier cable on my throttle....

I like a Vernier prop control, am OK with a Vernier mixture control,
but my last airplane had a Vernier throttle and I hated it.
Maybe I'm just uncoordinated, but I found it difficult to make fine power adjustments when landing.
Replaced it after about 2 flights with a standard push/pull throttle.

^^^ Agreed. I'm not a fan of vernier throttles. Push/pull with adjustable friction is much easier to operate. Just don't get it too tight or the throttle will stick. ---That's a joke, remember the old Qantas gripe sheet?

"vernier throttles" easy to take them apart and remove the BB size ball . You end up with a adjustable friction push pull.

You sure about that? I don't recall any of the ones I've flown having adjustable frictions.

Back