• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Painting GPS antenna?

CamTom12

Huntsville, AL
The antenna I got for my ADS-B (uAvionix skyFYX-EXT) doesn't have anything in the documentation about painting.

I'm leaning towards mounting it on my dash, but I think the white antenna would be a source of glare. If I could paint it black (maybe something like plastidip?) then I'd probably mount it on the dash, otherwise I'll put it somewhere else.

GPS doesn’t like paint. And paint it black, put it on glareshield and it will get HOT.

MTV

I’ve heard that, but I figured it was something specific about certain types of paints and someone here might know what it was.

I’ve also seen some GPS antennae that are clearly marked “do not paint,” but mine isn’t and there’s nothing in the tech pubs.

The RV guys mount them in their engine compartments, under their fiberglass cowlings with no issues. So there’s heat and blockage, plus I’ve also got a black GPS antenna mounted up under my skylight that’s been working good in that heat for the 5 years I’ve had the plane.

Based on Mike’s experience, they might be pretty hard to reach right now.

I’ll just stick it on the wing root fairing. I was trying to avoid pulling the interior apart again for wire routing.

A quick google search comes up with a couple of manufacturers saying not to paint because the assembly is tuned for a narrow frequency band and paint changes the tuning. I always wondered why.

Yes, and the signal strength you're receiving is very low. I don't think I'd paint any GPS antenna, regardless. But, the manufacturer would be the one to talk to.

Call sales, and see if they can answer the question.....at least they answer the phone. Wonder why?

MTV

Well, the question is OBE now. I already drilled my holes.

I definitely appreciate the feedback!

956c37c944e436f09e03f4313c446164.jpg

Moving on to deciding where to put the ABS-B antenna...

Back