• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Front Rudder / Brake Pedals Installation...

daedgerton

PATRON
Arlington, VA
Just got the new front floor in and hope to be flying next week... What is the best way to install the front rudder pedals? I have the drawings but is there any tricks with regards to how to install the springs? As far as front brake pedals, how "loose" do they need to be in order for the brake cables to be able to pull them back to the rear?

As always, thanks!

springs press pedal toward firewall....

very free on brakes & rudder

it can take a long time to get them shimmed up correctly and operating freely

it can take a long time to get them shimmed up correctly and operating freely

It certainly can

I used the purpose shims from Univair and got them set up really good without the spring.

Fitted the spring and it was terrible. After a couple of days I concluded that the spring coil was being pressed onto the shaft by the ply floor and secondly, the coil was not sitting squarely on the shaft.

I routed the underside of the ply floor that solved the first problem and put a kink in the leg of the spring that made it sit better.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0057.JPG
    IMG_0057.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 179
It certainly can

I used the purpose shims from Univair and got them set up really good without the spring.

Fitted the spring and it was terrible. After a couple of days I concluded that the spring coil was being pressed onto the shaft by the ply floor and secondly, the coil was not sitting squarely on the shaft.

I routed the underside of the ply floor that solved the first problem and put a kink in the leg of the spring that made it sit better.

The new univair springs are not like original piper springs you have to move the bearing stop in a bit on the rudder pedal to make room for th spring coil

The new univair springs are not like original piper springs you have to move the bearing stop in a bit on the rudder pedal to make room for th spring coil
How long since you worked with Univair's springs? There is a thread here from a few years back where I compared new Univair springs with NOS Piper springs and found no difference. I remember the old spread out springs but the ones I have bought in the last few years are just like Piper's.

How long since you worked with Univair's springs? There is a thread here from a few years back where I compared new Univair springs with NOS Piper springs and found no difference. I remember the old spread out springs but the ones I have bought in the last few years are just like Piper's.

Steve last summer did two cubs springs came from Stoddards Univair I just move the stop made simple jig I can get all
done in about a hour they work great can shim the bearing blocks and tighten
the bolts tight with small amount of grease I did go back and read the other threads you posted seems like it’s a problem and people have felt with it many ways this works best for me.

I should have taken pictures but there is a width difference between Univair and stock. I ended up just cleaning up the old ones and installing. Got one side done. Waiting on shims from Univair... Seems like Univair is taking forever on stuff lately...

Back