Thread: Power flow / Leading Edge or Sutton or Atlee Dodge HD + Univair stacks?

Post Thanks / Like

Power flow / Leading Edge or Sutton or Atlee Dodge HD + Univair stacks?

Looks like I need a new exhaust. Mine has multiple cracks and bowed out flanges. It has been welded a number of times.

I have a PA18-150, 160HP conversion.

Any advice / thoughts on what to go for would be appreciated.

Cheers,

David

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Dodge hot rod muffler. No baffle AD to worry about. bolts right on without cowl mods. It is load but has some performance increase on a stock motor. Lower CHT climb out.
    DENNY
    Thanks BritishCubBloke thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the atlee hotrod for while until the header cracked, and i put the sutton on. The sutton is great, gets the muffler away from the firewall, no more spilling oil from the filter and the whole system is new

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve had an A. Dodge hotrod, Leading Edge and now a Sutton. All are better than the original. I’m not sure there’s enough performance difference between the three for one to stand out. If your exhaust pipes are in good shape, the Atlee muffler is an easy option. If you’re wanting to replace the whole exhaust system then the other two are better options. The LEES is heavy but advertises hp gains and the Sutton is dead nuts simple, lighter and gets the hot muffler off the firewall. You will have to cut a new hole in your bottom cowling with the Sutton.
    Thanks TCE, BritishCubBloke thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    -30 and still had good cabin heat with a Hot Rod muffler. If I was down south I might prefer the Sutton.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m happy with the Sutton. Good quality, little lighter, and simple. I had a small clearance issue with the lower left cowl latch bump and muffler shroud cap on mine (I have a Rupert lower cowl stc, so may not apply to your application). There is only one external air duct to muffler shroud source, the other scat hose connection is attached to the shroud cap area on the left side of the muffler and has no external air pressure which I find causes it to be less effective. The result is a choice of a weak cabin heat or weak carb heat depending on which source you attach your scat hose to. I’m happy overall and feel it’s a good value if you need to replace the whole exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put the Leading Edge exhaust on my O-320. I couldn’t tell the difference in power, if there was any. The worst part about the LE exhaust is that the muffler is on the back of the engine, right next to the firewall, which made the cockpit and my feet even hotter in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WA L16 View Post
    ...There is only one external air duct to muffler shroud source, the other scat hose connection is attached to the shroud cap area on the left side of the muffler and has no external air pressure which I find causes it to be less effective. The result is a choice of a weak cabin heat or weak carb heat depending on which source you attach your scat hose to. ..
    ?????????????????

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Sutton, 160 hp Works well freeing up that space behind the motor. The heat is really good, better than I expected flying around so far in the teens. Scat up to the right front baffle floor.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What are you confused about Mike? This issue with Sutton exhausts (and possible solutions) has been discussed on supercub.org before. For those interested, look up “Sutton exhaust heat robber.” Supercub.org member S2D posted some nice pictures of a solution for increased flow because, in his own words “Since Sutton's carb heat is suction demand only, it would be hard to tee into the hose and get any heat out.” The picture on the thread might do it justice, or you’ll have to go look at (or operate an aircraft equipped with a sutton) for yourself and you’ll be able to see what is being discussed.

Sandpoint, Idaho and Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Sutton with the extra heat material welded in, I think they call it the "Arctic" version (but I can't find that on their website) and I can tell you it will melt your boot if you put it at the outlet. It is a heat MONSTER. I'm pretty sure if you ask for the Arctic version they can and will do it. Doc Randy recently put one in his cub but was not getting the heat output he expected. I think it is due to the air inlet part not getting enough air and pressure. Mine will absolutely blow you out of the cockpit. All I do is crack it just a small amount. Anymore than that and it becomes a sweatbox in about 1 minute.

I am very pleased with the Sutton exhaust.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend had a sutton put on his cub it had poor heat output until a small scoop was added into the shroud input. He said it now makes good cabin heat, I have not asked about carb heat yet.
    DENNY
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    I think it is due to the air inlet part not getting enough air and pressure. Mine will absolutely blow you out of the cockpit. All I do is crack it just a small amount. Anymore than that and it becomes a sweatbox in about 1 minute.

Bill
    only had one customer want one, ever... installed one 7 years ago, I followed the instructions, to add the air inlet in oil cooler scoop, as others had mentioned is required...

assume it worked well..

maybe WA L16 didn't???

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, I am unfamiliar with the “arctic” version factory fix. Do you have any pictures of it on your build thread, and do you by chance know if it is an option for certified cubs or only available for non certified applications?

On the version of the Sutton I have, there is no scoop (nor have I fabricated one) for the left side muffler cap so it has poor pressure and thus reduced effect. If the cabin heat hose is secured to the shroud with the external air positive pressure hose, the cabin heater is very effective and I’ve never had any complaints about it’s ability to keep me warm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot rod (Atlee's) give my 150 hp 25 more RPMs over stock. Lots of heat on the firewall, doing long day surveys I just went to wearing shorts and surf shoes, as I just got so hot I could not handle it.

If I were doing an exhaust change today I would go Sutton. Weight and ease of working on the engine, and less heat on the firewall.

Seems like a great option.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a Sutton exhaust on my previous plane. Light, simple and very effective. Cabin heat was enough to melt my boots.

I now plan upgrading my O-360 to 200+ hp. Do you think the Sutton will steal some hp compare to my double crossover straight pipe no mufflers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is certified with the ‘arctic’ version. Welded nubs to increase surface area. Give them a call, they have options not shown on the website.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are called "heat ribbons", $100 option. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...Bronze-bushing
    If you install the rear mounted oil cooler you can install the heater scoop in the old oil cooler scoop. If you retain the front mounted oil cooler they send you a pick-up that attaches to the front right baffle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180227_074043.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	46627

Sounds like the issue some are having is with carb heat and lack of air flow when it is applied not cabin heat. I have installed quite a few Sutton exhaust systems including my own and have not had any issues with carb or cabin heat.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes mike mcs repair, bfd777 liked this post