• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Screen

NunavutPA-12

FRIEND
67.8N,115.1W CYCO Canada
I have a B&C oil filter adapter installed on my O-320. Should I remove the oil screen or leave it in place?

Thanks very much. I guess I missed that. I wonder if removing the screen might bring my oil pressure back down to a reasonable level? It runs at 85-95 psi and I don't recall it being that high before I installed the filter and adapter.

Is the B&C on-engine adapter machined to accept the oil screen? Are you using a vernatherm valve?

Gary

No screen on the B&C adapter. I was referring to the screen in the sump.
And YES to the Vernatherm.

Last edited:
Thanks folks. If 85 to 95 psi is not too high I'll just leave things as is.
All the washers have been removed from the (old-fashioned type) pressure regulator.

Gary - The pressure control I'm talking about is near no. 3 cylinder. I don't think there's one near the oil filter adapter, which is at the top of the accesory case.

Now that I recall - the filter screen WAS removed when I installed the adapter. The Vern-a-therm is still in place.

Last edited:
Gary - The pressure control I'm talking about is near no. 3 cylinder. I don't think there's one near the oil filter adapter, which is at the top of the accesory case.

Now that I recall - the filter screen WAS removed when I installed the adapter. The Vern-a-therm is still in place.

Oh....THAT oil pressure valve on the right crankcase (hah I mistook the oil cooler valve for that when you mentioned washers). Guess it's the long winter we are enjoying.

Gary

I have used the B&C filter adapters on a Pitts and two Extras and now on my Tcraft. They replace the pressure side oil screen on the accessory case and require a veritherm if using an oil cooler. Never a problem but did raise the oil temp on my Extra 230.

Jim

You can still use the viscosity valve, they sell a plug for the vernatherm hole. If you have an original Piper oil temp/pressure gauge you will need the adapter for that as well.

I have used the B&C filter adapters on a Pitts and two Extras and now on my Tcraft. They replace the pressure side oil screen on the accessory case and require a veritherm if using an oil cooler. Never a problem but did raise the oil temp on my Extra 230.

Jim

Jim - did you notice if your indicated oil pressure went up when you went from a screen to a filter?

No blast tube. Oil temp got high at full power and low air speed. That is always a problem a problem because the unlimited air show routines are all vertical torquing manures at full throttle. You will see everyone stop and just fly around to get the oil temp down before continuing.

Jim

I wonder if that's a factor on Nunavut's oil pressure issue? Wrong gasket?

I'll pick up two Casper gaskets from Spruce tomorrow. Specifically for Casper. Didn't want to take a chance with oil port restriction.

Back