• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bungees

Shops are now changing them at five year intervals. I have a machine that takes them off and replaces them, so I get the five year old leftovers. My machine has a hard time with the Hydrasorb units, but the J3 style are a piece of cake.

My personal Cubs get around 15 years on a set of 1280 HDs. You can tell visually when they start to go.

To many variables, seen them sag in a year, seen them last 20. Takes way longer to deteriorate. Heavy Super Cubs I have worked on probably 8-10 years.

To many variables, seen them sag in a year, seen them last 20. Takes way longer to deteriorate. Heavy Super Cubs I have worked on probably 8-10 years.

Interesting.... I use 1380 HD shock cords on my 780 pound RANS S-7, with the after market Roberts/Cub style gear, due to the cabane depth making the A frames angle starting out more "splayed out" then I see on Cubs. I used to use standard 1380's, eventually moving up to the HD's, only after realizing that even with my light weight, the gear geometry made the HD's the way to go. Still plenty soft and cushy. I replaced them after 5 years, a couple years ago, think I'll go 7 or so next time. Plane is hangared, and the bungees are faired, so no sun on them ever. I also have opted for NO safety cables, so that makes bungee replacement more often then probably needed, a bargain.

Just went through this with a friends pa11. When you turn a corner and the outside gear leg doesnt collapse back in, you might need bungees. When it starts to feel like an oleo gear when you land, you might need bungees. When a wing is only 2' off the ground after you climb in, you might need bungees. If the safety cables are stretched tight after you climb in, you might need bungees (or the paleo diet). If all this is happing and you don't change bungees, you might be a redneck.

Back