• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Aerial Gunnery from plane

Keeping a low profile gives the impression that you think what you're doing is wrong. If you know you're within your rights, legally, and ethically, don't be apologetic about it..... If someone wants to build a plane that looks like the result of a drunken one night stand between a super cub and a A-10 Warthog, good for them!

8)
I think your on to something, Eaton on one side and Tango on the other. At least the struts will be safe

Glenn

Give me a break you guys, the amount of bullshit Eaton and I carry with us the plane would never get off the ground!8)8):lol::lol:

Kirby, in my younger days I would make that drop in a heartbeat.

Now, I find I don't bounce so well, and my rocking water penetration shape has gotten a little less of the 'penetration' shape.:cry:

It would be fun to have a target shooting day with remote mounted guns... hmmmm

Makes me wonder which one would skip the furthest across a pond...

Eaton has less drag (less hair) but more area for surface tension (less hair). So higher entry speed but draggier ricochet.
George, they say a teardrop shape is very aerodynamic. The rest of the math is above my pay grade

Glenn

There are the stories of sheep hunters getting dropped out low over snowed in strips, then shoveling them out to land the planes...

Heck, I have been tossed off sleds faster than some of your cubs fly.

i knew the fellow with the rifle mounted on the roof of a Super Cub. He flew Mustangs in WW II. The Cub had a sliding hatch in the skylight that permitted in flight magazine changes. He had an electrically activated trigger with switch on the stick. Rumors were that initially the rifle used was a BAR, but when word started getting out about this, the gun was switched to the M-1. I never heard him confirm that.

This “program” was initiated by a few guys running cattle on Kodiak Island, which in itself has proven to be a losing proposition. After these guys had been doing this for a while, Jim Rearden looked into it and wrote some articles about it, including one that appeared in Outdoor Life. Hunters were strongly against the project, and it was soon scrapped after the public learned of it.

MTV

it was an M-1 Grand. I worked with him in the early 70’s in Kodiak. The aircraft was Pa-11. The intent was to remove Brown Bears from the north east corner of Kodiak to allow for the development of cattle ranches. He initially tried strafing the bears but that didn’t work well since the fire was too slow and the movement of the aircraft placed the bullets too far apart. He then tried flying straight down toward the bear so the angle would remain constant. This was confirmed by another friend, coworker who tried to ride with the pilot and found it too uncomfortable. He had the pilot drop him off on a near by beach so the pilot could finish killing that bear without him in the plane. The pilot killed about 16 bears before public pressure forced him to quit using this method. He and two other hunters employed by the cattleman’s association killed numerous bears during the sixties.

RR.jpg
Ask Charles “Bazooka Charlie” Carpenter.
(shown with L-4 'Rosie the Rocketeer')

Attachments

• RR.jpg
    RR.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 96
There are the stories of sheep hunters getting dropped out low over snowed in strips, then shoveling them out to land the planes...

Heck, I have been tossed off sleds faster than some of your cubs fly.
Actually they just walked back and forth with their snow shoes on and it packed the snow. Shovelling a strip would take weeks, I helped run the D6 at wein lake in 97 and that took days on 50" of ice and 3 ' of snow to get the dc6's in

Actually they just walked back and forth with their snow shoes on and it packed the snow. Shovelling a strip would take weeks, I helped run the D6 at wein lake in 97 and that took days on 50" of ice and 3 ' of snow to get the dc6's in

My dad used to fly those DC-6s for Gene Zerkel at Fairbanks Air / Great Northern.

Back