• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Federal c2200 Ski Bungees

JOB15

Austria
Hi there!
I´m in a set up process of an Airplane with Federal c2200 from 1962. The Plane is build in 1966 according to CAR3, so my authority supports me at that project with something like a "National single AC-STC". The Skis were mounted on a Supercub "100 years ago" then a very very long time in the basement somewhere. I`ve got them from the Internet almost complete. I restored this and that and made all hoses new etc... I also got and will get new bungees from wip, and here is my question:
Front bungee tension:
Its close to "very little" (less than 5% tension length) when Skis up or down in Flying position on my AC. "Ski down tail down" is approximately 14% tension (+7cm). And when pumping the AC on ground from "Ski down to Ski up" the front bungees are moving from 14% (+7cm) to 27% (+13cm) back to less than 5% tension. How is that Value on Cubs/Huskys?
Rear bungee mechanism:
I understand the working principle but what are they basically for? Is this mechanism designed for preventing damage at aft cables, attaching points or fuselage tubing when the skitip moves up more than expected due to terrain ? Any ideas, tips?
Are there some Federal Skis operated with steel springs (front or aft)?
Thank you!

Hi there!
I´m in a set up process of an Airplane with Federal c2200 from 1962. The Plane is build in 1966 according to CAR3, so my authority supports me at that project with something like a "National single AC-STC". The Skis were mounted on a Supercub "100 years ago" then a very very long time in the basement somewhere. I`ve got them from the Internet almost complete. I restored this and that and made all hoses new etc... I also got and will get new bungees from wip, and here is my question:
Front bungee tension:
Its close to "very little" (less than 5% tension length) when Skis up or down in Flying position on my AC. "Ski down tail down" is approximately 14% tension (+7cm). And when pumping the AC on ground from "Ski down to Ski up" the front bungees are moving from 14% (+7cm) to 27% (+13cm) back to less than 5% tension. How is that Value on Cubs/Huskys?
Rear bungee mechanism:
I understand the working principle but what are they basically for? Is this mechanism designed for preventing damage at aft cables, attaching points or fuselage tubing when the skitip moves up more than expected due to terrain ? Any ideas, tips?
Thank you!

Please explain what you mean “The Plane is build in 1966 according to CAR3, so my authority supports me at that project with something like a "National single AC-STC". That doesn’t make any sense. Either they are approved on your aircraft or they aren’t. If there is no cerebral approves data to install them, then you need to get approved data. Doesn’t matter what the certification basis is, you still need approved data, just meets that the data only needs to meet CAR 3 requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the skis are approved for my aircraft size and weight (lets say they fit..). But my AC is the first and one and only of this type to be fitted with skis, and thats what I´m doing. Including the mounting, ground testing and flight testing according to CAR3. So I also have to determine all the necessary data. So its a "little" project. Where I come from, flying with skis is not so popular so i try to get some information from here and there, or to hear an opinion to this and that just to build up knowledge and to learn. Do you know something interesting about bungees? or springs? experience in ski flying?

Hi there!
I´m in a set up process of an Airplane with Federal c2200 from 1962. The Plane is build in 1966 according to CAR3, so my authority supports me at that project with something like a "National single AC-STC".
Rear bungee mechanism:
Thank you!

Sounds like an interesting project. What type aircraft, a European built type?

I can't answer the first couple of questions, but the rear cables "extend/retract" to maintain constant length and tension on the aft cables as the skis are raised or lowered. These skis move fore and aft quite a lot as they cycle, which would change the tension on the aft limit cables.

As to springs vs bungees, I've seen springs used in the forward cables on Cessnas, where the forward attach point is high on the cowling. Tension there is important, because too much slack in the spring and those things will bang up the cowling. And, those setups offer a long length.

Give us a picture of the project plane. It sounds like an interesting project.

MTV

Yes the skis are approved for my aircraft size and weight (lets say they fit..). But my AC is the first and one and only of this type to be fitted with skis, and thats what I´m doing. Including the mounting, ground testing and flight testing according to CAR3. So I also have to determine all the necessary data. So its a "little" project. Where I come from, flying with skis is not so popular so i try to get some information from here and there, or to hear an opinion to this and that just to build up knowledge and to learn. Do you know something interesting about bungees? or springs? experience in ski flying?

Start with a certification checklist, and develop a certification plan. Go through CAR 3 (check the revision date), and list every regulation that will be impacted by the change. Once you figure what regulations you need to show compliance to, then figure the method you will use to show compliance, test, analysis, whatever. All that goes into your certification plan along with what DERs and DARs you plan on using for the certification. Present that to the ACO with an application for an STC. FAA has a good book, guide to Project Specific Certification Guide.

Start with a certification checklist, and develop a certification plan. Go through CAR 3 (check the revision date), and list every regulation that will be impacted by the change. Once you figure what regulations you need to show compliance to, then figure the method you will use to show compliance, test, analysis, whatever. All that goes into your certification plan along with what DERs and DARs you plan on using for the certification. Present that to the ACO with an application for an STC. FAA has a good book, guide to Project Specific Certification Guide.

His location is shown as Austria. I’m not sure he needs to worry about the FAA.

MTV

This is the situation now, bungees are not yet the originals, so a little bit of setup-adjusting has to be performed. Tailski is not finished yet.

Gesendet von iPhone mit SuperCub.Org

Yes! Thats exactly what i´m doing with my national aviation authorities.

Thanks for the questions/answers! According to the front bungees, meanwhile I got answer from the manufacturer, they test this rings up to 15". So no problem with my 5" during ski travel on ground. I think on other planes it will be quite the same!

Back