• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tire Balance Pads

Pennsylvania
Anyone know where I can get some inside the tire balance pads 498EFDD4-62E9-4391-96C7-58E7E8DFB1D2.png

Attachments

• 498EFDD4-62E9-4391-96C7-58E7E8DFB1D2.png
    498EFDD4-62E9-4391-96C7-58E7E8DFB1D2.png
    691.5 KB · Views: 255
The answer is in the original post: Meyers Tire Supply. Although someone on Pirate4x4 says they may come off if an aired-down tire conforms over a rock. These are guys who go below 10psi like bushwheels. Likely intended for 70psi semis so maybe a truck tire shop?

interesting but not seeing how that would work with tube tires. Someone had mentioned Meyers. Can only get box of 25 for $80 and a 40 day leadtime. Seems like rubber sheet and 1300L will net same result as balance patch except that it might be a bit bigger. Tube would hold it in place. All purely hypothetical of course.

Last edited:
interesting but not seeing how that would work with tube tires. Someone had mentioned Meyers. Can only get box of 25 for $80 and a 40 day leadtime. Seems like rubber sheet and 1300L will net same result as balance patch except that it might be a bit bigger. Tube would hold it in place. All purely hypothetical of course.

What, exactly, are you looking to do? Your original post says you are looking for the weighted balancing pads. The description clearly states that they are used to pre balance a tire. This means that you can get the tire, by itself, close to being balanced before it's mounted up. This allows for much less weight to be used for the final balance, whether spin balanced or bubble balanced. Now you say that a rubber patch, glued on the tire will do the same?

So I'm back to my question; What are you trying to do with these?

Web

Balance the installed tire. 8:50 airhawks. Can’t put enough weight on little 6” wheel to get them balanced. 2oz out on the tread takes care of it. IN the tire btw

Happen to be at an IA renewal meeting and not surprisingly tire guy says gluing rubber in tire bad idea. Tube chafing being the concern. So...moral of the story, spend money on good tires. Avoid Airhawks. If you’re concerned about balance anyway.

Look at their web site. They talk about installing in tubes.

While many will likely disagree with my actions, I had a set of 26" Goodyears that were badly out of balance. I cut up pieces of an old innertube and taped to the outside until I had enough weight to get them close to balancing, then removed the tire from the rim and and glued the pieces of innertube to the inside of the Goodyears. I dusted the heck out of them and put the tubes back in. That's been 6 years ago. No tube failure so far, although I suppose that could eventually happen. But, in the mean time, I have nice smooth rolling tires where they were so bad before I thought I was having severe tailwheel shimmy, until I realized the tailwheel wasn't on the ground. :p Like you, I wanted to use balancing pads, but found them to be unavailable to individuals. Perhaps you can find a tire retailer that has some in stock that can sell you a few, but I decided to address it in my own way. It worked for me, but as the old saying goes; "Your mileage may vary."

-Cub Builder

Happen to be at an IA renewal meeting and not surprisingly tire guy says gluing rubber in tire bad idea. Tube chafing being the concern. So...moral of the story, spend money on good tires. Avoid Airhawks. If you’re concerned about balance anyway.

Plenty of new aircraft tires have balance pads installed from the manufacturer. That guy is probably from marketing and not production.

Back