Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Super Cub 150 - air scoop vs carb ice

Post Thanks / Like

Super Cub 150 - air scoop vs carb ice

Hi guys

My experimental Cub is currently in for annual. One of my big problems that had to be checked this annual is excessive carb icing. If I donít pull the carb heat at least every 5 mins for at least 10 seconds, Iíll get reminded to do so VERY quickly.
    Here in South Africa, in my area, the current humidity is 70% plus and a current temperature of 47 degrees Celsius(116 degrees Fahrenheit) - yes, quite a time to do an annual...
    During the winter months, when itís colder(5 - 25 degrees Celsius), I never got this problem. But to add, Iíve only owned this plane for a year, so I cannot compare it to previous summer seasons. So who knows if itís an emerging problem with the carb or not.
    So we removed the carb, sent it away for overhaul, and hope for the best. Hopefully the problem will be solved. Weíve also inspected the air box and found that everything was good
    But today, the mechanic and I thought about airflow over and around the carb. The airbox assembly is off a C172 and was modified to a round filter assembly. The outside air scoop is standard PA18, but it has no inner air scoop. So all the incoming air is scooped, accelerated around the filter, some gets sucked up, and the rest gets blown straight onto the carb
    The builders also lengthened the side cowlings to give a bigger gap between the boot cowl and side cowl for better exit airflow on the hotter day. So there is plenty of airflow underneath the engine, but when is it too much...

So the conclusion - weíve narrowed it down to a carb overhaul(been overhauled 10 years ago), and the inner air scoop. Does it make any sense? Are there any other tips you guys can give me to what it might be?

Post Thanks / Like
    Post some pictures. Mike and Steve will tell you how to fix it. Although Steve has temperatures closer to yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PIPER J5.5 View Post
    Post some pictures. Mike and Steve will tell you how to fix it. Although Steve has temperatures closer to yours.
    Will do so as soon as we begin assembling again.

Post Thanks / Like
    What fuel are you using?

I used to run auto fuel for years and then, evidently they changed the blend as I started getting regular icing. (Summer months in Alaska )

I switched back to av gas and problem went away.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Ed

I’m running Avgas 100LL. Lots of guys have advised to run Mogas, but I run Avgas. Not much more expensive than Mogas around here either