• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin's got new stuff out.

Garmin instruments use bluetooth to share information with other devices, like iPads. These new instruments will allow an owner to easily retrofit superior instruments without remodeling the panel and will provide the option to display that certified information on an iPad. So essentially the owner can have G3X appearance with less expense and labor. Or they can use the 3-1/8 displays.

As a G3X user I can report that the Garmin info display of the artificial horizon that includes the airspeed and altitude tapes becomes so intuitive that going back to steam gauges is a real step backwards. Both styles do the job but the glass display does it better.

As long as you have all type certificate required instruments installed, it's legal to install the 'other stuff'. After all, it's for reference only, right?
Web

I'd like to hear this position expanded on.
I installed a G5 in my C180 a few years ago,
per the FAA policy statement.
I asked my IA buddy who did the paperwork for me on that one
about installing a "non-approved" multi-channel CHT instrument in addition to the stock, required single-point CHT gauge,
and his take was that it had to have a PMA or some other approval--
even if it wasn't installed as a replacement for a primary gauge.

I'd like to hear this position expanded on.
I installed a G5 in my C180 a few years ago,
per the FAA policy statement.
I asked my IA buddy who did the paperwork for me on that one
about installing a "non-approved" multi-channel CHT instrument in addition to the stock, required single-point CHT gauge,
and his take was that it had to have a PMA or some other approval--
even if it wasn't installed as a replacement for a primary gauge.

PMA - Approval to manufacture a part.

TSO - Broad approval that an article meets requirements to be installed in a product (airplane)

So.... I can see saying an install is minor if it meets TSO standards or other approval. But if you go with a broad "I can install anything" essentially says you can put a microwave oven in your panel if it will fit and you can power it.... Which will likely cause EMI issues and make your radios not work while you are cooking your inflight meal.

Tim

The type certificate requirements are non arguable. They must be installed

Show me, in CAR 3, where any other instrument panel item requires an 'approval'. As for the physical install, if it does not meet the criteria in Appendix A for a major mod, it IS a minor installation. I.e., if you don't cut/weld structure to install it, it does not interface or interfere with a required system, and does not REPLACE a required item, it's a minor.

You can add to a panel with a 'non approved' item but you cannot use that same item to replace something required by the type certificated.

Web

My little Dynon horizon and my 396 makes me IFR capable in my Tcraft. I have had to prove it many times.

Jim

PMA - Approval to manufacture a part.

TSO - Broad approval that an article meets requirements to be installed in a product (airplane)

So.... I can see saying an install is minor if it meets TSO standards or other approval. But if you go with a broad "I can install anything" essentially says you can put a microwave oven in your panel if it will fit and you can power it.... Which will likely cause EMI issues and make your radios not work while you are cooking your inflight meal.

Tim

Not quite!

PMA- Design, manufacturing, and installation (only those make models listed) approval. Some PMA parts are for specific STC installation only.

TSO- Design and manufacturing approval ONLY. Installation approval must be obtained prior to installation. In many cases, one TSO item may be substituted for a like TSO item based on form fit and function. If a given TSO item was never installed in a given make model airplane by the original TC holder, then installation approval may be required by the modifier.

The TSO concept goes back to the appliance Type Certificates back in the 30s and early 40s. Read through the old CAR 15 to get an idea of where it came from and how it has evolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My little Dynon horizon and my 396 makes me IFR capable in my Tcraft. I have had to prove it many times.

Jim

Can you explain that one to me? Or are you making a difference between IFR capable and IFR legal? I have a 495 and an attitude indicator but am not IFR legal, though I would trust those instruments if I ever got myself into IIMC.

I recall studying the regs in detail when I was re-doing my -12 ten years ago. And I determined that "IFR certified" and "IFR legal" are two different things. I determined that I can be "IFR legal" in my -12, using VOR and ILS, a certified horizon, etc, but "can't" rely on the GPS stuff from Garmin Pilot.

..PMA- Design, manufacturing, and installation (only those make models listed) approval. ….

I don't agree. PMA = Parts Manufacture Authority. My take is that this is for production only.
For example, not long ago uAvionix had to wait quite a while for the PMA for their Tailbeacon.
Once they got that, they could manufacture the units, but they didn't sell or ship any until they had the STC for installation of same.

I don't agree. PMA = Parts Manufacture Authority. My take is that this is for production only.
For example, not long ago uAvionix had to wait quite a while for the PMA for their Tailbeacon.
Once they got that, they could manufacture the units, but they didn't sell or ship any until they had the STC for installation of same.

Suggest you read Part 21 Subpart K, and specifically 21.303(a)(1).

Uavionix didn’t have PMA on their tail beacon, they have TSOA for tailbeacon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oops, yiure correct. I got an email from Ryan at uAvionix after i pre-ordered a tailbeacon, i thought he had said they were waiting on a pma. I just looked up the old email & he did say they were waiting on a TSOA.

Possibly for nav. But what about engine instruments? Also, I agree with Skywagon, 1 hour is not enough backup time. Backup power needs to hold out as long as the fuel load.

Web
Assuming your airplane has a battery and/or electrical system, the "backup power" for the Garmin $tuff doesn't start counting down until the ship's battery drops below the required voltage, right? So the "as long as the fuel load" means the time from generator/alternator failure until ship's battery reaches low voltage state AND the Garmin backup system also reaches low voltage state. A properly sized primary (ship's) battery should provide enough juice to fly you to the scene of the accident, anyway, so the Garmin backup is just "gravy"...

Santa brought me one of those nifty EarthX jump packs that I can plug in in the event of an electrical emergency...

Back