• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Garmin's got new stuff out.

Farmboy

Middlebury, VT
In addition to the NXi series just released, the hot item is the new GI 275.... 3.125" round gauges to swap into your panel.

Very impressive, super high resolution, works with older autopilots, certified, etc etc. They are pricey no doubt, but full featured.
SJ needs a new panel in the 180, right?

010-GI275-00-hero-img-desktop-a6a7cbf6-1370-4476-b553-1e213340be1f.jpg

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/719027#overview

Attachments

• 010-GI275-00-hero-img-desktop-a6a7cbf6-1370-4476-b553-1e213340be1f.jpg
    010-GI275-00-hero-img-desktop-a6a7cbf6-1370-4476-b553-1e213340be1f.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 355
Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.35.26 PM.png

And pretty much (or all) every Cessna ever built.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.36.36 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.35.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.35.26 PM.png
    50.3 KB · Views: 285
  • Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.36.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.36.36 PM.png
    68.3 KB · Views: 268
Missed the -12 earlier.

Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.39.02 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.39.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-15 at 1.39.02 PM.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 225
4 grand! toys only for the rich. The g5 is half what this new one is.. better scoop up your g5 before they quit making them

4 grand! toys only for the rich. The g5 is half what this new one is.. better scoop up your g5 before they quit making them

The G5 has also half or less the capability. I do agree the stuff is expensive and I wish it were a lot cheaper!

sj

The G5 has also half or less the capability. I do agree the stuff is expensive and I wish it were a lot cheaper!

sj

for decades I always figured maybe ~$30k to do a new panel with all the new parts/gauges..... ECI/JPI.....

so in reality, for all the capability these newer systems incorporate into them, it's probably getting cheaper & lighter(no Vac system).....

not saying you need all that capability ....

Not sure about the cheaper, but definitely lighter. All that electrical stuff, time to start thinking about a back up battery system to keep it on line during an electrical emergency.

Web

That's nice. Will it be obsolete by the end of this year or the first half of next year?

That's nice. Will it be obsolete by the end of this year or the first half of next year?
Jeez. Just finishing up Dual G5 installs with a new panel on account I wanted flush mount. Heavy sigh...

:roll::roll:

It’s a legitimate point. Older radios and avionics certainly don’t add to a planes value, but they don’t seem to be a huge drag on the purchase price either, it’s way down the list of things that concern me at least. What will all these glass panels look like in 20-30 years? The technology is impressive and I wouldn’t mind having it, but with the rapid advancement in tech, will a glass panel installed today be a big detriment to a planes value in 15 years?

For the price of two of these things, you could buy a 7 inch Dynon PFD and have change. And a display old eyes can actually see.

MTV

Not sure about the cheaper, but definitely lighter. All that electrical stuff, time to start thinking about a back up battery system to keep it on line during an electrical emergency.

Web
Can you actually have an electrical emergency in a cub? I think the check list would read EFIS failure -- look out window and carry on

Looks like 60 minutes optional backup
Not enough for the places where we go in the back country. Enough to keep the FAA happy though.
Also TOO MUCH STUFF in a small instrument make for more intense concentration at a time when you need to be able to relax to fly safely.

Last edited:

sj

The problem is you gotta buy 3 or more of them to get all those capabilities, 15 grand.. lost my interest with 4 grand price tag...

Not enough for the places where we go in the back country. Enough to keep the FAA happy though.
Also TOO MUCH STUFF in a small instrument make for more intense concentration at a time when you need to be able to relax to fly safely.
I'd be interested in a pirep from a bumpy day with a pilot wearing tri-foculs. I had to turn off some stuff on my Aspen due to overload and that screen due to overcrowding in the width of the display.

Can you actually have an electrical emergency in a cub? I think the check list would read EFIS failure -- look out window and carry on

Possibly for nav. But what about engine instruments? Also, I agree with Skywagon, 1 hour is not enough backup time. Backup power needs to hold out as long as the fuel load.

Web

I get the flush mount retrofit idea, but wouldn't a g3x do pretty much the same thing as 3 of those?

I do not know what a g3x is, lost interest in any hi tech stuff when the faa decided to not giveashit about the average working man, they dont care about the ga pilot one bit. They say its fine and dandy to let nice inexpensive highly capable avionics be installed in some planes, but not others... its horseshit! The experimental pilots are 10 times safer with the inexpensive avionics, and certified are stuck with old crap because we cant afford the paperwork required to install the same avionics the experimental guys can use for one quarter the money. Its nothing but nuts, dangerous to limit certified pilots to old junk avionics and let other ga pilots use affordable and much safer avionics. I wonder how many families would be alive today instead of six feet under because they were stuck with old avionics

I do not know what a g3x is, lost interest in any hi tech stuff when the faa decided to not giveashit about the average working man, they dont care about the ga pilot one bit. They say its fine and dandy to let nice inexpensive highly capable avionics be installed in some planes, but not others... its horseshit! The experimental pilots are 10 times safer with the inexpensive avionics, and certified are stuck with old crap because we cant afford the paperwork required to install the same avionics the experimental guys can use for one quarter the money. Its nothing but nuts, dangerous to limit certified pilots to old junk avionics and let other ga pilots use affordable and much safer avionics. I wonder how many families would be alive today instead of six feet under because they were stuck with old avionics

I don't understand you comments. The FAA has relaxed quite a bit on safety enhancing devices. As far as your comments go: It is expensive and time consuming to develop and build this stuff. Test it for vibration. Test it for EMI. Test it for thermal. Test the software. Test every button press sequence to make sure it doesn't make your software crash. Build the elctromechanical assemblies. Deal with end of life on electronic components. Sorry, your avionics are not untested chinese junk you buy on amazon.

As long as you have all type certificate required instruments installed, it's legal to install the 'other stuff'. After all, it's for reference only, right?

Web

I'd be interested in a pirep from a bumpy day with a pilot wearing tri-foculs. I had to turn off some stuff on my Aspen due to overload and that screen due to overcrowding in the width of the display.
How would you like to be hand flying this down to 200-1/2 because it was too rough for the autopilot to handle? 50 minutes after having the alternator fail, then experiencing a strong wind shear at 300 feet? In the rain? At night? :evil:

This instrument is an electronics engineer's wet dream.

Haha! Yeah, I'm not so highly experienced as a lot of guys, but to gather some info I want to glance at an instrument - not study its "fine-print". On the other hand everything is in one place, so maybe configured how one wants and with some practice it might be really great.

https://generalaviationnews.com/2020/01/15/new-garmin-gi-275-replaces-several-legacy-flight-instruments/?utm_source=General+Aviation+News&utm_campaign=ddfcd5d3a0-TPOA-20200116&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8917678115-ddfcd5d3a0-373728749

"Prices:

• Attitude Indicator: $3,995
  • HSI: $4,295
  • CDI: $3,195
  • MFD: $3,195
  • EIS: $5,295"

Totals up to $20K. Whew!!

I've always thought the EI CGR-30P has a nice look to it, the way it's laid out, operates, etc (haven't used one myself however). A -30P w/probes goes for $3,600'ish, according to the EI website.

It's a big price jump from $3,600 to $5,295 for something that appears very similar.

How would you like to be hand flying this down to 200-1/2 because it was too rough for the autopilot to handle? 50 minutes after having the alternator fail, then experiencing a strong wind shear at 300 feet? In the rain? At night? :evil:

This instrument is an electronics engineer's wet dream.

Uhh,, sometime after that when your battery died, be happy for that little tiny hard to see instrument with 60 minutes left?? :lol:

Back