• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tool Advice

gbflyer

PAGS
Trying to help a guy on another forum find a spark plug socket. Whatever application he’s needing it for seems to give him trouble. He mentions not being able to reach the hex, the outside diameter running into cooling fins, the inside diameter not being large enough, and the detent on the drive end not being adequate. Is this really a thing? I don’t have any experience on odd engines, just the normal Piper and Cessna stuff. I’ve never run into any of this and get along fine with my Chingaling ATS socket.

Some modern auto engines have that problem. Snap-On might be the solution. I have mostly dirt-bag tools, but once in a while I need to spring for a $20 screwdriver when the truck pulls in.

I've used a Snap-On socket for about 450 years with mostly good service (always an exception). The part number is S6106K. It's deep enough to go over the shroud of the plug and it has a hex drive for a wrench, if the socket wrench won't fit under a cowl or baffle.

Web

I have run into 7/8 spark plug sockets that had too small of a bore in the barrel to fit over an aviation spark plug. I just bored the inside of the barrel of the socket. Problem fixed.

-Cub Builder

He might be trying in 3/8" drive... some don't have a big enough inside..but if you bore them they're fine like Cub Builder said...or try 1/2" drive.
John

The Snap-On socket I referenced above is 1/2" drive. Most that will work on aircraft plugs are, from what I've seen. Nothing wrong with that, but I usually use a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter just because I like the smaller size of the socket wrench.

Web

I have a SnapOn socket, 6 point, 7/8”, S6106KA,3/8” drive. It has a snap ring to retain the plug. Wait for it.... $93.00 off the truck!
I was changing the plugs in my StarDuster and use auto plugs. Found a socket that has a 3” ext. build into the socket that wobbles. 15.00 aprox. I found this a great tool.
The 3/8” tools work very good in tight engine compartments. I also have a 3/8” drive torque wrench that is rated in ft/lbs .just easier, not nessary.

Have had my Plumb 7/8" sockets for 30 years I guess. They originally came in Pratt an Whitney tool kits. They have worked on every radial, inverted, vee and flat engine I have ever worked on. They measure 1.115" in diameter where the ATS socket I modified for my custom tool bag spark plug and lead wrench measure 1.135". Found one of the Plumb sockets on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pratt-Whit...-3-8-drive-7-8-6pt-3-4-PWA-2254-/324011733628
Short one is GB2254 and the longer one is PWA2254. The hex comes in handy when they isn't room to get a ratchet on the socket you can use an open end wrench.
socket.jpg

My custom made lead/spark plug wrench made from a cut down ATC spark plug socket and a 3/4" combination socket wrench. Comes in handy, one in my tool bag and one in my working tool box.
socket2.jpg

Attachments

• socket.jpg
    socket.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 923
  • socket2.jpg
    socket2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 907
…..My custom made lead/spark plug wrench made from a cut down ATC spark plug socket and a 3/4" combination socket wrench. Comes in handy, one in my tool bag and one in my working tool box.…..

Slick!

I discovered that the Craftsman 3/8" drive deep socket that I used for Champion plugs didn't work on the Tempest plugs.
(or was it the other way around?)
I ended up buying a special deeper socket at NAPA.
Got tired of climbing into the back of the airplane to fetch it out of my tool bag,
so I ended up also buying a specialty aircraft plug socket (can't recall brand) for the toolbox.

There is also a small problem using non aviation designed sockets that don’t have a means to retain the plug,(magnet or clip), when that plug falls out and onto the hard floor it’s done. Doesn’t take long to buy a new SnapOn socket at $25.00 ea.

I just discovered what socket I used last time I had the plugs out.
Cheap $5 Kolbalt 12pt from Lowe's. The inside of the socket tapers and supports the top of the plug body nicely.

Glenn

Back